_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
tips needed- Marder IIIM
jdup
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
I an quite new to modeling and need some help-again.
what is easiest way to paint the model ? should I first fin all the interior , then put together, mask off the interior and then do the outside, or should I just put the whole thing together and then paint, if so how do I get into all the smaller areas inside.
thanks for any advice
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hi Jdup,

It depends on the case and preference. I usually build the whole thing than proceeding with painting. Especially for a tank.

But for the open topped one, I would build the whole thing minus the gun part. i.e. two main sub-assemblies, the chasis, and the gun. Then proceed painting and weathering seperately

HTH.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
You'll have to look at the way your kit goes together to make a final decision. On the Marder III from a couple years ago the gun attached with a poly tube that allowed me to add the gun assembly after painting. If the IIIm doesn't have this feature, you'll probably want to make sure you can get paint into all the nooks before attaching the side walls. For instance, I'm working on a Wespe and have left the side and rear walls off until after painting the interior because the gun has to be attached before the hull top. Each subject may go together slightly different. Open top vehicles can get complicated, but careful planning during construction stages will help you a lot when it becomes painting time.
 _GOTOTOP