_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Advice on Modelling AFV Interiors needed
mac
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
As a novice AFV builder I have a question about interiors. Generally speaking how much of an interior does one have to build if hatches are open with figures in them? I ask this as I'm about to begin a T-34 with a commander sticking out of the hatch on top of the turret. My plan was that as I build I would periodically check by putting the commander in place and dry fit the hull to verify what's visible. I really don't want to scratchbuild the entire interior, especially if it cannot be seen. I also don't intend to make this turret or hull removable so I don't need that extra detail.

TIA...Kevin
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:16 AM UTC
It would depend on which version you are building. The hatch on the early models (up to 1942) was quite large, so some of the turret interior is likely to be seen. If its the later models (1943 on) the hatches are small enough that a figure would effectively obscure any view of the inside, so it could be left out.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hi Kevin ...true if you are building one of those early T34 s you might have to scatch a whole interior or close(D'OH!) ....If it is a later one ...What I do is paint the inside black and this saves me alot of work as the black will hide the empty space.Good luck with your project.

Richard
 _GOTOTOP