Hosted by Darren Baker
Making cheap grass & a dio thrown in
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 334 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 03:56 PM UTC
An easy and cheap way of making grass. I don’t know whether this has been done before, but what the hell.

First off I went to the garden store and picked up some grass matt retainer that you put in hanging baskets.

Then used white glue to stick the mat down.
Once the glue had dried I then I start to pull up the grass matt in parts order to make the grass at different lengths.
Then cut some of the grass with scissor to get the desired look.
Then used hair spray to keep the grass up,

Then you can painted the grass in different greens. On this matt I decided not too, to give it a dying out of control wild grass look

Any comments welcomed

tanky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 04:28 PM UTC
I have to say I think that looks really good!I am going to go have a look in Hombase now see if they have any and then I will give it a go on my first Dio

NIce tip thanks
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 288 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 04:42 PM UTC
Looks good, Gary!
I'd heard of using that grass method before - and they had had good results as well as you have had with this.

Are those Tamiya figures? Their postures and the paint scheme look surperb, and the tank seems to have been painted with the same quality!

Harry
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
That looks really effective! Just what I need for my Normandy dio for the fields. A trip to Homebase is in order methinks....Thanks for the heads up on this one.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 09:17 PM UTC
Your kt looks much better on its base... like others pointed out in hte other post its too bad for the tamiya tracks, change them when you can and show us the pics... btw, in this kind of setting i realy wouldnt so much rust. id give the tracks a coat of tamiya gun metal, drybrush some silver, and then give a few washes of burnt umber or something
imho

the figures do look great like the others have said... i jsut love the camo on you kt

Frank
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
Cheers for that Gary
I'm just doing my 1st dio and this is what I've been looking for
£1.49 from B&Q for an 18" diameter piece,sorted should do a few!!!

Andy
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
The grass matt retainer you're talking, is that the usually black carpet like stuff? If it's really what you used, then i'm really amazed. Looks as good as Heki grass and it's a lot cheaper and easier to find.
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC

..I stumbled on a great way of 'making' grass this weekend - using the real stuff ...if you've got a hover lawn mower or stimmer and forgot to clean up or brush it off when you last used it ..the fine cuttings 'welded' to underside will have browned and hardened by now ...it just peels off in a nice layer ...and it looks perfect for a diorama base ...!! Try it...
 _GOTOTOP