_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A1 Sherman Mk II Questions
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC
Greetings all,

Well while my Bedford project has gone on hold awaiting further information, I though I'd start on the M4A1 Sherman Mk II. Setting late N Africa or Italy.

It's the Dragon Kit and plan so far is as follows:

use a Tamiya Turret with the early gun mantle
use spoked wheels and rubber tracks
add an Med style bin and fire extinguishers

Any other Brit style fixes that I've missed? I'm not going to try and do the early version with the direct vision and early suspension but this is more mid production.

Cheers

Al
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
Not the subject I'm most familiar with, but a couple of things:

British Shermans, especially in the desert, tended to have full or partial sandshields fitted. The Tamiya M4 ones would probably work.

Also, they sometimes had that length of rod or strip just above the sandshields to sling nets, tarps, and bags on. Not always, but often.

British aerials maybe? Not sure when the No 19 set came into use.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rob
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC
Alan,
Something not on your list is the flimsy rack for the front right fender. Take a look at the poster for the new Mk III from DML the Mk II would have the same fittings. Off the top of my head I'm not sure if Brit tanks in the Med carried external fire extinguishers.
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
[Any other Brit style fixes that I've missed? I'm not going to try and do the early version with the direct vision and early suspension but this is more mid production.

Cheers

Al
[/quote]

Al,
Many M4a1s in MTO and NA had the grouser covers plated over with square pcs of scrap metal rectangular in shape. Also, many had boxes bolted or welded directly on the rear hull.

Chris
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
British radios were fitted prior to issue to units maybe no 11 sets at first then no 19 .reliable source Dad despatched radios in a rush prior to El-Alamein.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC
Greeting all,

Thanks for the feed back guys much appreciated.

One question:

Would the mid production models have the cast or three piece transmission? I know the early direct vision ones had the 3 piece but pics are a bit short on the ground so I wasn't sure when the cast transmission came into use.

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, they sometimes had that length of rod or strip just above the sandshields to sling nets, tarps, and bags on. Not always, but often.

I believe these were mounting strips for a fake tarp cover to give the tank the sillhouette of a lorry/truck?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
The early versions of the cast nose started showing up in the Tunisian fighting. The only pictures I have seen were M4's or M4A3's, and both were dirrect vision tanks. So, it is likely that there were M4A1's with the early cast nose also.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:08 AM UTC
No early M4A3's in Tunisia? Ok.

Found a picture of a column of British M4's with the cast nose. Caption in Japanese, but it is Africa some where. Good luck with your project.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Found a picture of a column of British M4's with the cast nose.

I imagine these would be the early, rounder style transmission housing right, Randall?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2006 - 06:26 PM UTC
Yes, there are three tanks in the picture, all with the early cast, or rounded, nose. I guess I should be more specific, the tanks are M4A2's. The marking on the left front fender is a White Rhino. If I decifer the date properly the picture was taken in April of 1943. There is a second picture taken after the tanks had gone by, showing the rear.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Have found some pictures of M4A1 earlys with DV and 3 piece transmission/early gun mantle in N Africa and also some of M4A1s mid production with cast transmission and later gun mantle in Italy.

Now I just need to find the British/Commonwealth unit in Italy that they belonged too. Unfortunately no Unit or DIv sign not on show.

Any thoughts, I know the 3rd Hussars have the early version in N Africe and that the Royal Scots Grays had the M4A2 SHerman III in Italy, but need a British/Commonwealth unit in Italy with the M4a1?

Cheers

Al

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
I checked my books and came up empty. Still looking. Sadly, Italy was very neglected.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi Randell, Greting all,

Thanks for that.

I've been doing a bit of late night reading and searching and it would appear the quite a lot of the armoured units from October 42 through to 43 had a mixture of vehicles.

The City of London Yeomanry still had Crusaders, Grants, and then by the time they got to Italy Shermna Mk IIIs and Crusaders.

The Staffortshore Yeomanry in the Desert Campaign had Crusaders and Sherman II's and again this mix of armour continued on throughout the campaign. Replacements seem to have arrived by numbers rather than one specific type of tank. So I have a few regiments now I can look more closely at.

Obviously the bulk of new armour was being concentrated for the assault on Europe so the mix of vehicles within British and I suspect Commonwealth units in the MTO continure for a long time.

Thanks for all your efforts - much appreciated.

Cheers

Al
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
One photo i've found has 2 mid production M4a1 belonging to 2 RTR in italy Cast nose M34A1 mantlet one with 3 bar cleat tracks photo 117 page 66 British Tank Markings & Names by B.T. White 2 RTR were senior regiment in 7th armoured brigade (green jerboa ) Cheers Pat
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2006 - 12:30 AM UTC
Good catch! I missed that one.
 _GOTOTOP