_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club M35A1
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:01 PM UTC
Just about to start on this kit and I have a few questions about the vinyl tyres.
I have heard of probs with the mould release on some soft tyres attacking the plastic rims if they are not treated correctly - anyone know if this affects AFV Clubs stuff?
Also am I going to have probs with them eventually splitting if I apply solvent based washes to them - I've had this happen on another brand of kit and thought the washes may have been responsible.
Any and all info on this kit greatly appreciated

Tim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 11:53 PM UTC
From what i've read online. simply painting the plastic rims Completely before instlling the tires Should help. (this is second hand info)

HTH
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:01 AM UTC
I did not use washes etc on my LRDG chev by Tamiya and they split in 6 months
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 12:44 AM UTC
The problem sometimes occurs because when the rubber tires are put on the plastic rims, the rims are slightly larger than the inner surface of the tire. This causes the tire to be stretched and over time a weak point in the tire mold will split. Either reduce the rim size by sanding slightly or increase the tire hole. It is also a good idea to insure any part of the rim that contacts the tire vinyl is coated with paint.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:19 AM UTC
I've been building the AFV Club trucks for a very long time - since they were released. I've never had a problem with any tires - and I have guntruck conversions approaching 10 years old right now that are perfectly fine. When I stripped down a miniature of Nancy for rebuilding, I pulled the tires off to inspect for damage. There was none, and I was able to repaint the rims and use the tires again. The only thing I did was to paint the rims - inside and out. Simple Tamiya Acrylics were enough of a barrier between the polyvinyl and plastic. Nothing fancy.

Gunnie
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 08:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice everyone.
And GunTruck, I knew I had seen Nancy thoroughly written up somewhere, but just couldn't recall where. Guess I know now - great site you've got there
 _GOTOTOP