15cwt Wireless Truck Question
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 02:51 PM UTC
Greetings all,

I'm working on a 15cwt wireless truck. I have reference to the layout of the radios but need to ask a few questions.

Did the radios run on some kind of small generator behine the cab?

What sort of antenna did they use? Was it fixed to the truck ie: like a pod on the mudguard or did they erect the pole type of antenna once on location?

Any pics or information would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Al
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 03:35 PM UTC

-----------Which one you doing .........year..... type ....body style ......radios........
Give's a clue Alan.....or is it a secret :-) :-)
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

It's the old Italeri 15cwt Truck:

Resicast Radios, have just arrived and I'll see which are the most appropriate for the back.

Vehicle will be an RA Anti Tank Regiment Signals Truck, one of the vehicles for Pier 51.

Got any info

Cheers

Al
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 04:54 PM UTC

Alan .......IIRC ....hard at my age ....1 --FOP .manpack type-----1 Gun Battery link and 1 Rear link ...High power (Regimental).. (19 sets.....mine were in Russian )......ariels -----Wire- strung .between the (bamboo) poles-trees.. or(PIER 51) between houses..(telescopic poles were later)....a small ( dumpy) generator was carried --but most of bed was taken up by batteries under the benches-charged from vehicle
Hope this helps ...will be corrected I bet by some "bleep" .....(was not much better than a forked stick) :-)
Will hunt in my manual of communications ---"Notes for Centurions "
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

ps..dont forget your earthing spike!!!!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 05:57 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. The sets that come with the kit are:

No 18 Man Pack
No 19 AFV
No 22 General Purpose
No 38 Inf short range (which was missing). It doesn't say what Mk it is but as it didn't arrive I'll have to wait and see what turns up.

I'll use the No 22. Would the RA have had No 19 sets? If so I'll use one of those as well.

If I need a generator I could use the Italeri one form their tools set, at least I think it's a generator or maybe a compressor LOL, LOL.

Cheers

Al
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC

:-) ---SEE...told you there would be a "CENTURION"out there ........thanks Derek ------not my area ..see you next week ....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-44,GGLG:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=British+WW2+military+radios&spell=1

http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/customer/home.php?cat=72...

http://home.wxs.nl/~meuls003/gallery/gallery.html
may help
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Derek,

Thanks for that info, then a No 19 and No 22 will do nicely. Thanks also for the info about the antenna. re the markings the Red and Blue sign is on the side doors awaiting the white S1, I remembered form last time. I'm still wairing for the formations radios to finish off the M3 Scout Car LOL, LOL.

Steve,

Thanks for those links, I'll check them out now. Edit: Great most useful, I had found out some basic info on 7th Armd Div site (equipment) but that will help a lot also.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP