_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Zveda T-80UD
poibruddah
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 12:48 AM UTC
Aloha!

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked already but I noticed that Zveda has a T-80UD, might be a dumb question but is this the DML kit re-boxed?

Thanks everyone!!
Panzerkommandant
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:13 AM UTC

Hi Kurt,

yes it is the old Dragon kit. I have Zvesda`s kit of the T 80 BV with ERA and remember the looking of the kits style, because for years I had Dragons T 80 with ERA.

Greetings,Nils
poibruddah
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:16 AM UTC
Thanks Nils for putting that question to rest. Sure hope that Trumpeter or Tamiya comes out with updated models of all the modern Russian armor......(hint, hint)
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 01:19 AM UTC
Kurt,
I've built this kit.
The top runs of track are too wide to be used with the skirts. You can't see them so don't use 'em sort of thing.
Also the gun barrel is oversize. If you've a Tamiya T-72 lying around that kits barrel would look better.
Tom
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:13 AM UTC
You essentially have two choices with the kit:

1. Build it OOB and just enjoy what it has to offer. It is not a great kit, but it is buildable.

2. Go all out and "rebuild" it with aftermarket stuff. PE, Metal barrel, new tracks-roadwheels-idlers-sprockets, etc...

In between is possible, but stands out...better the extreems in this case.

As for a New T-80 .... Please DML or Trumpeter!
poibruddah
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

Thanks to you all for all your suggestions. I know MR models has a detail set for the T-80UD. Anyone know just whats included? And furthermore does anyone else produce aftermarket detail sets for this tank? Barrels? Roadwheels? etc...

Happy Modelling!!

Kurt

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
well...

I do not know what is in the MR kits as I have not seen them. The roadwheels are supposed to be pretty nice.

I help sell a lot of T-80 conversion kits thorugh my online shop, click my banner below. Tracks, detail sets, full conversions, and the roadwheels have been remastered for a nicer rim. However, most of the kits I have are made for the SKIF kit.

Also, miniarm has indicated they are going to release a series of conversions/updates for T-80 kits late next year. They have not said which kit will recieve the attention (my guess is the Zvezda/DML kits...not a good idea as the kits are dimensionally incorrect.) They also will probably have a big price tag.

Model Point makes the best replacement barrel, see the reviews section here on armorama for one I did. However, Barrel Depot make a direct metal replacement that is far cheaper but retains all the DML kit problems.

Model Point also make a number of other detail kits good for a T-80...Tuchka mortar barrels loaded and unloaded, antenna bases', etc... Find them at Model Point US

Eduard makes several PE sets, make sure you get the proper one for the kit you are building

zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 10:18 PM UTC
Damn, I was hoping the Zvezda kit was a new offering.

Can anyone suggest the most accessible conversion for a T-80?
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Can anyone suggest the most accessible conversion for a T-80?

Which T80? T80, T80B, T80BV, T80U, T80UD, etc. . Suggest you check out the T80 stuff on this link and decide what you want.

http://www.6thsense.eu/showthread.php?t=1207

Thanks for the link. Looks like the site is unavailable at this time.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:33 AM UTC
Quick note:

T-80B or -BV are pretty much DML kits with Eduard PE...noone makes real aftermarket for them (Like Turrets) right now.

T-80UD Diesel version, said to no longer be in use with the Russian Army. Ukrainian manufacture, turned into the T-84 (with mods) and the Pakistani version. Available from SP Designs for the SKIF kit. DML/Zvezda kit depicts this in a OK fashion. Kit is a tough build (I am going through it right now.)

T-80U Turbine version with new turret, still in use. Early versions had the Kontact -1/3 ala the SKIF kit, but most have the Kontact-5 ERA. Again, SP Designs has several conversions including a new engine deck to replace the diesel one on the SKIF kit.

T-80 would be harder still as it would have to involve more scratchbuilding...no aftermarket.
 _GOTOTOP