_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
UNPF's BTR70 in Goradze
caventura
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 08:12 PM UTC
This DML's Model BTR70 in Gorazde 1994.
I'm Carlos Alberto Ventura en Neuquén, Argentina...

james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Nice indeed!
I like it because you have done something alternative by painting it in white!
But you could add a bit of dirt on the lower hull!
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice indeed!
I like it because you have done something alternative by painting it in white!
But you could add a bit of dirt on the lower hull!

I agree, it would look nice with some minimal dirt in the treads of the wheels and the lower hull. Aside from that, fantastic piece of work. I love th aggresive look of the BTR, and the white scheme really brings its features out.
I have two questions:
1) what did you use to outline the panels and crevices exactly?
2) What is the overall length of the model?
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Carlos.

I'm sorry to say but I don't like your model.
The way you painted the vehicle is not realistic, the UN-vehicles are in a more uniform white, the way you line out every edge and wrinkle don't look right to me.
I served 14 months in Bosnia and the vehicles was often dirty and dusty but the dust covers the entire vehicle and not only the edges like on your model.

Hope you take this the right way and if you have an image showing a vehicle like the one you made I apolagize. :-)

/Thord
pottz88
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 233 posts
Armorama: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 06:00 AM UTC
Finish looks good to me.

Not every AFV in this world has weathering like the rest.

Thord. The vehicles you show are plain white and boring. If your gonna critique, show some pics of White weathered vehicles during your 14 months in Bosnia, not clean, fresh off the truck examples.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi,

I think your model is a geat build but I must agree with Thord your panels outlining is a bit overdone. You should tone this down to give it a more realistic look. Th pre-sading is useful though to prevent a boring look due to the UN white paint.
It is one of the hardest thing in modeling to depict a white vehicle. The rain, fuel and grease strains look good anyway. A little more dust should do the trick.

Thanks for sharing
Olivier
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:24 PM UTC
I just built this kit myself. the white is hard to do. Good Job, but maybe tone it done with a mist coat of white.
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Finish looks good to me.

Not every AFV in this world has weathering like the rest.

Thord. The vehicles you show are plain white and boring. If your gonna critique, show some pics of White weathered vehicles during your 14 months in Bosnia, not clean, fresh off the truck examples.

The BTR in the picture I linked to is a good example of how the UN vehicles in Bosnia looked like.
It is not clean, fresh of the truck.
I must have a right to point out to a modeller when something in his model don't look right?
I know that words can feel hard when written on the net, especially when you don't write in your native tounge but I still think that Carlos pre shading is too heavy.
I'll dig up some more examples of UN vehicles for you later but now I'm of to a hockey game.

/Thord
unprofor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:18 PM UTC
Hi Carlos! it's good to see a UN white vehicle again.
Perhaps you can add some light dust on the lower hull and wheels and a little scraps and scratches arround hatches, but just a little to make it more interesting. Most of the vehicles i've seen were quite "cleen"

best regards, Patrick
caventura
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:24 PM UTC
See tuis photo the other white vehicle in UN's sevice

caventura
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC
Other Vehicle... Other photo

caventura
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:32 PM UTC

This is my UN's AIFV Model...

caventura
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:34 PM UTC
Other photo...

The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 01:31 AM UTC
More images of UNPF vehicles:

Where our vehicles sometimes dirty? Yes, they where but not in the way carlos painted his BTR and AIFV.
In the summer the entire vehicles was covered with a layer of dust and in the winter they got muddy.

/Thord
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
Carlos,

You indeed have a nice build there. No doubt about it. I have to agree that the panel lines are too stark though. Thord has a very valid point about this. It all comes down to an "overall" dirtyness to the vehicle. Your's shows just the panel lines...not the rest of the vehicle. Were you to give it an overspray to reduce the starkness, it would be much more effective; much like DUBDUBS suggests. The counter-comment by Dan (potzz88) is only, in my opinion, spiteful . I too have been there. The vehicles you show in your follow-on posts depict what they would look like after a days work in that kind of weather. Also, understand, the vehicles were washed with some regularity. So, "plain white and boring" or "plain white and realistic??" Dirty it up like the pic you posted showing the back end of the APC, dirty up the tires, and you will certainly have one heck of a good looking, realistic model. This will be an easy fix with your talents with an AB.

My 2 cents.

Mike
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 08:01 AM UTC
ah yes, the realism vs. artistic impression debate rears its ugly head yet again...

He did a very nice build, it has a very nice paint job, and he overemphasized the panel lines and look for effect. No problem. Is it everyones "cup of tea"? No.

For example, I personally think the Mona Lisa is WAY overhyped...but more people than I love it. Does that make ANY of us wrong...no.

Sorry to say it guys, but using 1:1 scale weathering and painting rules just does not look right when carried over into 1:35 scale. Both sides are correct in this, it just comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Back to your regularly scheduled argument...
poibruddah
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 11:50 AM UTC
Ditto to Jacques! I sit here in fascination of the wonderful works I see and the sheer guts it takes to put your work on display for the whole world to see ( and sadly "over" critique). Its a hobby, say again a HOBBY. So while I respect those of you who served in the armed forces, those of you who know far more then myself let us just be happy at these wonderful art pieces and have fun at it at the same time. Remember this is a hobby.......

HAPPY MODELLING,

Kurt
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:26 PM UTC
Well, I think the BTR-70 is a nice and well done model even though the shading might be a little extensive.

That said, I feel that the modified M113 is much better and captures the look of the real vehicle much better. A really good job. It looks almost entirely like the photo.

Anyway both models are very nice. Now, I feel inspired and has a BTR-80 lying around in my pile of kits. Anybody know if the BTR-80 was used as a UN vehicle? Photos anyone?
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 04:45 PM UTC
As I said before, english is NOT my native tongue and it is hard to express exactly what you mean in a foreign language.
I do think however that one is entitled to give critisism if a model is put on display, both positive and negative.
What I was trying to do was to point out that the weathering was overdone and not realistic.
If my words sounds hard it's because I can't express myself as good in english than in swedish but if I erite in swedish nobody will understand what I'm saying. Anybody see the problem?

That said, I think that the build of the BTR is nice but the painting is off.
The KIFV is in my eyes a better painted model overall.

@ carlos.

I hope I didn't make you sad with my posting.

/Thord
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 07:41 PM UTC
No problem Thord...it was not just your posting and you kind of waded into a debate that has probably been going on since model builders first slapped paint on a replica..."realism" vs. art.

My take on it was just to remind us all that there is more art in our hobby than realism because, first and foremost, what we are making are replica's, not real vehicles. So things are going to be different.

Just on a side note, I have seen some really well researched and built models, stuff that would really knock your socks off, even painted as authentic as possible using paint chips off the real vehicle and so on...and while they captured the technical look of the vehicles, they missed the "essence" of it. I am sure others know exactly what I am talking about.

On the reverse side, I have seen some really great "artistic" painting done ruined by bad research or even worse building skills.

The point is that it is ok to offer help and even constructive criticism. That is what keep sthe hobby progressing. I guess my suggestion would be to think carefully about how you do such criticism, because you are not just making comments on a model, but also on the builder's feelings (if you accept the whole model is a piece of artwork theory).

That said, let's see everyone in this discussion put up a built model to show how we interpret the real thing...
caventura
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 08:43 PM UTC
 _GOTOTOP