_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cavalier Zimmerit?
OldandSlow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC
This looks like the answer to a new German Armor Builder`s prayers.

Can I get some feedback on how it really is, as far as affecting the scale appearance and how it deals with complex shapes and corners ?

Thanks
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 04:40 AM UTC
Cavalier (or Atak) Zimmerit sets apply easily with epoxy (superglue works, too, but you better get it perfectly positioned the first time, as it bonds resin instantly--epoxy gives you time to position it perfectly). Complex parts are molded entirely in resin, replacing the kit parts (the kit part is used as a master, so make sure you match the resin set to the right kit--a tailplate or mantlet intended for the AFV Club Tiger may not exactly fit a Dragon Tiger, and vice-versa). Occasionally, large areas of resin Zimmerit may shrink slightly during the curing process, requiring some adjustment, but they usually include a little resin Zimmerit comb to fill in any damaged or missing areas with your own putty.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC
If it works out a little short, it can steeped in warm water for a few minutes a stretched a little to fit. Can also be a little longer, so dry fit first so you dont get any shocks. IŽd also recommend the 5 minute epoxy to have time to get placement perfect. I carefully sand the back of the resin piece and the area to have the zimmerit placed on for better grip. Ive used both cavalier and attak and think both are excellent. Any ends that lift slightly, a little super glue is perfect for this!
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cavalier (or Atak) Zimmerit sets apply easily with epoxy (superglue works, too, but you better get it perfectly positioned the first time, as it bonds resin instantly--epoxy gives you time to position it perfectly). Complex parts are molded entirely in resin, replacing the kit parts (the kit part is used as a master, so make sure you match the resin set to the right kit--a tailplate or mantlet intended for the AFV Club Tiger may not exactly fit a Dragon Tiger, and vice-versa). Occasionally, large areas of resin Zimmerit may shrink slightly during the curing process, requiring some adjustment, but they usually include a little resin Zimmerit comb to fill in any damaged or missing areas with your own putty.

:-? Ok I'm not trying to take over the topic but what brand epoxy do you buy and where do you get it in the states?
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
The five minute stuff that comes in a syringe, two parts, mix together. You can probably get it from auto zone, wal-mart ect.

This is the Atak set....

cheers
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 06:38 AM UTC
I use Elmers Glue. It works great, it is not smelly or sticky. I haven't had problem since I started using it.
Mike
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
You can get 5 min from most local hobby stores, in the two bottle format.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
I used the Cavalier zimmerit set on my DML Elefant, and am very pleased with it. As the others have mentioned above, I'd recommend using epoxy as well so that you have a few minutes to get it positioned just right.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Elmers Glue. It works great, it is not smelly or sticky. I haven't had problem since I started using it.
Mike

Mike,
I used Elmers one time also but found that due to the glue being basically 'airtight' between the plastic and resin, it took weeks for the glue to completely dry.
Do you have a method that works without running into this problem?
I didn't put it on particulary heavy either.
Basically, I used it cause I didn't want to mix or hassle with the 2-part epoxy (can I get any lazier?)

Cheers,
Charles
 _GOTOTOP