Hosted by Darren Baker
Brick Mortor
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
I just made my first batch of 500 1/35th scale red brick and was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas of what I should use for the mortor between the bricks?
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
How did you make the bricks?? I have been trying with drywall compound mixed with paint and spread onto a piece of glass, then cut with a razor saw to the right size. Isn't working very well but I am getting lots of rubble :-)
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
Look in the digital diamonds section to see how to make the mold. I used plaster of paris with red craft paint. I used dry plaster of paris powder for the mortor and then did a very wet grey wash to firm it up. it looks great! :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
azizmaz
I would use wall spackle as mortor. You can premix the color and it is easy to work with and inexpensive.
To premix just take a small portion out and put it in a 'working' container add grey, black, white, a bit of brown to get to a grayish buff color. Or mix to whatever color mortar you are modeling.
One recomendation if possible - Build the brick was with an interior sheet of stryene. First cut a piece of styrene as big as the brick wall will be then start at the bottom and mortar your way up the wall. The styrene will give you a nice flush surface to build against ensuring the wall will be vertical and all the brick are 'in line'. If you are going to show both sides of the wall this may not be possible. If this is the case you may try the same styrene sheet with talcum powder. The powder should allow you to pry it away when the mortar sets.
I haven't tried the talcum powder deal so test it first.

I used the basic mortar part on a stone wall and it worked well.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
Use wall spackle.
 _GOTOTOP