_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Warrior WIP
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi all,

a few (poor) pictures of the Academy Warrior MCV I am in the process of building

It's painted with thinned down Humrol 102 Army green. This is the first Academy Warrior not the Iraq version that was re released. So far a fairly easy build, but I had trouble with the tracks being too tight and snapping the rear idler off on the left side !!!. Had to cut the track in the end and stick it to the underside of the sponson.

Hope you like and apologies for the poor quality pictures.

Kev
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 09:35 PM UTC
Good build but it looks like you set the roadwheels arms too low. That would be the cause of the track tension issue. Unfortunately the kits has a lot of play in the roadwheel arm fit and no guidance as for proper position.

Here's a good shot of the roadwheel height from the British Army Picture Library:

Paul
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:13 PM UTC
the tracks are one of the big problems with the kit, they are correct but the plastic is to hard, add to that the problem with the rear suspension arm being to weak and it causes no end of problems.

If you do manage to get the tracks on then the rear wheel bends forward or snaps, its a shame no one make that final arm in metal. the only real solution is to use different tracks or glue as you have under the add on armour (which you carnt do if you wish to show one with out the armour).

look forward to seeing some better pictures once you get a chance

cheers

Keith Forsyth
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Looks like it coming alot pretty good.

I did the re-released version and had some issues with placing the tracks on for those too. My roadwheels arms werent positioned as low so i didnt break my idler wheel. I did soak my tracks in hot / warm water to loosen it a little bit which did the trick so would definitely recommend the same method for future track fitting.
NeilWB
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC
The real problem is that out of the box the Academy Warrior sits way too high - just check the height of the road wheels and the drive sprocket on the kit and compare with any photograph of the real vehicle.

Rgds.

Neil
 _GOTOTOP