_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
DML Scud
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:04 PM UTC
Haven't read much about this kit.

Does anyone have a review or any first hand experience with this kit. I realize its an older offering, that may play into the quality.

Thanks a bunch
Leader
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:21 PM UTC
Actually a good friend of mine who is a member on here as well is just finishing up his.

His name on here is Blackfly....you might catch him on sometime, and I will let him know that you are looking for info in it.

I could probably sum up what he is going to tell you, and that is that its one big pain in the butt to build. Although I would like to try my hand at one myself, a I have the 2 Eduard PE sets for the kit....but not the kit...lol....apparently great care has to be taken when putting the frame together and such, as to enable all 8 wheels to touch.

He can go into more detail with you about the ins and outs of building it....although he will say it was a pain to build...I am sure he is happy with the results, and it makes a very large and impressive kit when complete!!

I will let him know that you are looking for info on it....as well, he more than likely still has links to websites on reviews and building of the kit!!!
blackfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
Leader,

Let me start with this...%$#%ing kit!!!... There, now that I have vented... The DML SCUD is an impressive kit to say the least... I got mine on E-Bay for about $35 CDN which was a very good deal. With the arrival of the kit came the hot candle wax..... The frame, as Scott has mentioned, seems to be twisted in pretty much every review I have read. You have to rectify this or your body modules will sit off kilter and your wheels will be miss aligned. Unfortunately at the time DML released this kit, there was very little reference material on the MAZ/SCUD ... and so the kit is apparently not %100 accurate.... but it is BIG. I have searched the web for reference material as well and have found one site... which I have included.... that gives pretty much a step by step how-to on problem areas.... I just wish I had stumbled across it before I was at the stage I was… I would have more hair now.
Either way... it is defiantly not a well appreciated kit... and for that alone, if you can get it for a good deal, I would recommend it. Good luck and I hope this didn't scare you away, as I said... an impressive kit. As for the Edward PE sets... I do not have them... one of the reviews stated the external PE set was about 70% accurate... and the interior one was a best guess.. and there fore could not be relied upon.
Good luck.. and happy hunting… SCUD hunting that is!

[url=http://home.tiscali.nl/~theonaus/intro.htmlurl]
blackfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:13 AM UTC
Sorry guys... kinda fudged the URL... here it is ... I think!

[url=http://home.tiscali.nl/~theonaus/intro.html[/url]

and if that doesen't work... cut and paste...

http://home.tiscali.nl/~theonaus/intro.html
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
I've got one but haven't started building it yet. I noticed the frame parts were warped, but was hoping that when I glued the parts together the warpage would cancel itself out, since they appear to be warped in opposite directions. Um, looks like you guys are saying this is not the case! Maybe if I turn the parts over and let them sit in the box for a few more years they will straighten themselves out The PE sets were really minimal compared to what I was expecting. One is just for the interior, and the exterior one only contains a few doo-dads - I was expecting a gigantic pile of photo-etch for such a big kit.

The missile itself looks fun - a seam runs down the whole length of the thing, and there's a fair amount of detail on it. It will be like filling and sanding ten tank barrels - and I always buy aluminum barrels becaus I so despise that job.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:13 AM UTC
There aren't enough bad words to describe this kit. The one good one is BIG. There is minimal detail in the various crew compartments. The tires have to be aligned just so to get the correct tread pattern. There is no undercarriage detail and just this big old empty space that needed a really big piece of sheet styrene to close up. There is no steering llinkage and this stuff should be visible given how high off the ground this thing sits. The Eduard set helps. If I remember right, the window templates were wrong (or was that the MLRS, or both). The missile lauunch tower is supposed to be workable...not in this life time. There was a lot of filling needed for an armor kit. When I finally got to attaching the four modules to the frame, there was a major oversize problem with the modules requiring careful trimming of painted parts to get them to mate up correctly. Despite all that, it's big and impressive.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC
I bought mine,as soon as it came out.I built it too.It does have warp problems (I cannah go any faster,captain,the engines wont take the strain)
Bit I took time with the assembly,and got all 8 wheels to touch.
Al,I was able to get the gantry to work.I did secure the missle to the launch pad,so it wouldn't fall off.The one problem is the hydraulic pistons.They bind going back to the retract position.But I don't play with it,Ha ha ,so it is a minor problem.As for the seam on the missle,by now,fixing seams is second nature,note it,then move on.
Maybe one day they will retool this.DML did redo some of their Shermans...
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:41 PM UTC
I got the kit for Christmas. It looks like it isn't the greatest kit ever from first look. I picked it up for pretty cheap at the local shop and don't plan on building it real soon. I will save the web site that blackfly gave us, thanks for sharing all the info.
 _GOTOTOP