_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya Pershing in 1/35?
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:23 PM UTC
Has anyone heard a rumor/suspicion/reading from "Miss Cleo" about Tamiya shrinking the 1/16th Pershing down to 35th scale? My dad, whose a lifelong ship and aircraft guy, says he will build a tank if he can get his hands on a WWII Pershing...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
I have read rumors on the web, but nothing concrete. It would be a big seller. There is a WW2 as well as a Korean War Pershing on the market made by DML. The WW2 one is hard to find and marketed as the T-26E3 Pershing and the Korean one is the M-26A1 Pershing. I have the Korean War one and it is a fine kit. I do not know all of the differences between the WW2 and Korean version, but I know the tracks, muzzle brake and decals are different. Word of caution on the DML kit, the center guides are individually molded and great care must be taken when removing them else they may go flying.

Tamiya would most likely have one piece vinyl tracks and would probably have beefier parts and would be easier to assemble. The DML kits have been on the market since Dec 1994.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Theres been rumors over at ML about Tamiya doing this, but DML already has a Really nice T26/M26/M46 series out and the T26E3 is going to be reissued next month! Only bad thing I can think of is that LTL tracks on the DML kit are bit of a PIA to put together, esp on the M26 and M46 from what I hear...the T26E3 are reasonable.

Scott
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:48 PM UTC
Scott,

I read about someone complaining about T26/M26 tracks but if I recall correctly, he was talking about the AFV Club tracks! They were such a PIA to assemble, he ended up using the kit tracks which were far easier to put together. I could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it......
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:54 PM UTC
Well, well, if DML is doing a reissue of the T26E3, I can finally get my hands on one! :-) The ones I did see on eBay were so outragously over priced I steered well away and settled for the Korean version M26A1.

Furthermore, I totally agree, that if Tamiya did a 1/35th Pershing, it would be a big seller. At least over here. I'd have to get a couple.

Rumors can come true.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
The 1/35 Tamiya Pershing was listed in my VLS Corp Master's Group monthly supplement as upcoming in addition to their big R/C version - I trust that information...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The ones I did see on eBay were so outragously over priced I steered well away and settled for the Korean version M26A1.

These kits weren't cheap from jump street, IIRC, they were priced pushing the $40 range which is why they are so expensive now. Back then, I, and probably others, passed on the obscure WW2 variant that was in use for a few months in the closing year of WW2 in favor of the well-known Korean War version which was more "sexy". Low demand caused low production numbers which made them rare. DML was fairly new at the time and no one wanted to sink $40 for an unknown company's kit. Heck, back then, $40 was pushing it for a new tool Tamiya kit. I see why they were reluctant to reissue some of these kits. They didn't do too well at first and are only so highly sought after now because of their rarity. Same thing happened to their M4A1, that kit is now a legend.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 01:13 AM UTC
Why wait for DML's T26E3 reissue if you don't want to? You can still get it at Udisco for $22.40 US plus shipping! They're in Canada.

http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/index.htm

Amazing what a little searching around will turn up.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 02:35 AM UTC
Glad to see they are re-releasing the T26E3 Now I can do an M4A3E8 w/M26 turret I don't think any were actually made I saw a drawing of it on the Jordi Rubio 90mm barrel for the Pershing
 _GOTOTOP