_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon AMOM - jlmurc
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC
Tamiya 1/35th scale Sd.Kfz 124 Wespe, built straight out of the box, with additions from my spare parts collection. Painted with Tamiya Acrylic, Vallejo Model Colour and Humbrol for the details. Filters and washes with artist and Mig Abteilung 502 oil paints and weathered with Mig Pigments.
The vehicle represents a Wespe as used by the HG Pz Div, on the Barbara Line during the Italian campaign in 1943.

barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 06:50 AM UTC
An outstanding job!
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
The best model I have seen to date, you have got my vote John., Indeed an example of outstanding skills.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:56 AM UTC
Definitely not a WWII fan but there is no way that i can overlook this one.

Great job on this John! That method you used of spots of oil paints on the side panels, did you have to thin the pain down in anyway or was blending them in itself enough to give you the desired effect?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
Where did you get the stencils for the storage and lockers?

Mike
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 334 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 07:15 PM UTC
looks great. I have just started a Pz WF40 auf amultier panzerwerfer and I was not too sure whether you could use filters on the colour of your wespe, now I know you can to enhance the model.

good luck

Torchy
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 08:57 PM UTC
Great Job John
What paint/ colour do you use for your chipped paint ?
Andy

Cavalry
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:54 PM UTC
Superb! Can you tell us why you have the multi-color pattern applied prior to the overall paint job?
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
Great looking model I like the wear and tear looks lived in. I think the triple colour paint is a filter
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 04:03 PM UTC
Thanks Guys,

I was very touched yesterday when I presented the Wespe to the veteran, it is a shame that he did not want his picture taken with the model, but he was overjoyed as were his pals who were there at the time.

Jazza: The measles effects of the oil paint are applied neat from the tube, just adding colours that I felt would compliment the overall look I wanted. The Blending is then done with a large round brush [5] that is just damped with thinner. Dip it in the pot and then drain the excess on kitchen roll. Then just blend together, the trick is not to remove too much paint. Practice on an old kit.

Mike: There are no stencils for the lettering, it was just my new spectacles and a 5/0 brush and a few wiggly lines as at the scale of the kit it is just necessary to create an illusion of stencilling.

Gary: I have used oil/enamel filters since reading an article in a very old Tamiya Magazine. This time in the whole I used the Mig/Sin filters as you can get a continuity of tone, however many coats you wish to apply. Just choose colours to gently alter and add tonal shifts like when using photographic filters.

Andy [Torchy]: Hi mate, the chipping is done with vallejo Model Colour German Cam Black Brown 822 [150]. I added a touch of Tamiya flat base and thinned with Vallejo thinner and a little drying retarder and just worked over a few evenings with some really small sable brushes. I found some articles where people then applied a touch of dark metallic paint into some of the chips. A really sharp pencil is good for this too. The Paint is one of those very useful colours, just like their Brown Violet too.

Cavalry: This method of altering the tone of the paint and simulating wear as in real vehicles in the many conditions they face, just takes a little practice, but combined with filters and washes adds a nice effect.

Thanks guys, I get lots of inspiration and ideas from all of the members, made some friends and Armorama has become a very important part of my life. Interaction with the outside world is more important as I recover very slowly from a breakdown caused by my old job, with offenders. Before joining this site, I had never really felt comfortable joining in on websites and forums and had become too comfortable with my own company. Armorama has changed that in a very positive direction.

I wish I could build faster like I used to, but my modelling is a theraputic part of my life that is very important to me.

John
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hi John,

You get my vote, as I said before excellent job.

Cheers

Al
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Super job! I really like the extras with the ammo and grenades ect.

Good luck in the contest!

cheers
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 09:50 AM UTC
This really is a super job. You should do very well in the contest indeed! The only thing that falls short IMHO is the decals seem to be silvered in some of the pics. Did you gloss coat before their application?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 10:50 AM UTC
Wow, amazing…very realistic looking. Like the other I to enjoy your effects. Good luck!

Joe
jlmurc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This really is a super job. You should do very well in the contest indeed! The only thing that falls short IMHO is the decals seem to be silvered in some of the pics. Did you gloss coat before their application?

Hi John,
Your opinion is valued, the effect on those decals has been magnified and emphasised by the macro setting. I did gloss first, but the effect is one that I have never had before and seemed to happen after I applied the oil blend, fiters and final washes. I decided to just clean the decals off as the 'measles' can sometimes alter the colour of lettering and ID markings and I decided to gently clean them with a damped Q-tip, but used a generic $1 for 500 litres from a cheap warehouse shop as I had not been able to get any Humbrol after they went bust.
The thinners seemed to have some strange reaction, which this is the result.
I guess I will stick to rubdowns in future.

John
 _GOTOTOP