STUG Dio-mine in the road
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 334 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 03:28 PM UTC
One of my latest Dio's
The base is make from sand, the bushes are made from dried flowers and painted and the grass is made from hanging basket retainer.

Any comments welcomed to help me improve.

Many thanks

G
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 04:30 PM UTC
Gday Gaz
I think it is a very compact, well told scene here...
Some observations...
Would love to see some close-ups of the ground itself... The laneway looks very well done, and the wild grass looks the part...(Maybe less uniform in the centre of the path?) the colour you have effected here is very realistic!
There are well defined tracks from AFV movement past where the mine is being cleared from? I understand that there could be some in the grassy centre area, but the track being as narrow as it appears, I doubt they could stray off the well beaten path, if you know what I mean! No big deal though
The dried flowers look to be really good for lower 'shrubbery', but at the height you have it, the stems may stand out a little too much, and probably could be touched up with a brown for a trunk/branch colour?
Have no probs with the figure placement, or the Stug. itself; the stowage also looks really shmick...
Cheers
Brad
armorjunior
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 237 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 06:18 AM UTC
what brand of that "grass" do you use and were can i buy it?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:33 AM UTC
Nice work! Where did you get the mine clearing crew from? They look great and fit well.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what brand of that "grass" do you use and were can i buy it?

Gday AJ That "grass" is actually one of the cheapest around... It is the natural fibre used on hanging baskets bought from the local plant nursery (I think it is coconut husk)
Shouldn't be more than a couple of $ for a fair amount...
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 334 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 03:03 PM UTC
Junior Armour -Bradley is right, cheap as chips the basket retainer is, you can get them from plant stores and DIY stores. I have used it before

Hellbentii- the mine crew is from dragon http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/427/0/

thanks for the commets guys.
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 09:02 PM UTC
Good placement of figures and vehicle. The scene definitely flows. I'd throw in some variance to the ground cover and grass, but that's about it.
died
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:24 AM UTC
hi, nice dio, I like your use of materials.
wouldn't the mine be on the side of the track and not in the middle so it would come under the tracks??
or are the mines always placed in the middle of the road??
died
sicktunez
Visit this Community
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 01:35 PM UTC
Great one mate.
I think it is some coconut husks.
Well, in malaysia its kinda easy to get, yeah..heheheh.
but i prefer using paintbrush bristles or broom bristles. it looks great too.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 02:17 PM UTC
Very nice diorama. Good scene and well set up as already said.

The grass in the middle of the road could look a little more "scruffy", less well kept and more uneven.

The StuG itself looks great, but it looks like there is a problem with the gun - it kind of tilts to one side judging by the look of the muzzle brake? Maybe it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look like that?

I will definently steal the basket trick for the grass. Well done.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 - 07:52 PM UTC
All together a nice dio, well done!

I like the subject matter-well thought out.
Although it appears the mine is in the centre of the road and other veichles have passed by, you could easily explain this by it having being recently placed there, by members of the resistance for example.
I think the trees are a good idea, it's so difficult to get foliage to look realistic in small scale and I think you've had a good go with these, I might try the same technique myself.
The stug looks good too. I have recently built one of these and like the stowage you've used. How did you make the tarpaulin? It looks ace! Its a nice flat surface at the rear of these tank hunters and I used mine for SS grenadiers preparing for battle.
My only negative point is the front left peice of armour plate on the front left wing that is hanging by one 'fixing hook'. Im pretty sure they wouldn't have left it like this as it would sway when driving and hit against the tracks etc. Soldiers are pretty ingenious when it comes to things like that and im sure they'd have found a way to fix it up, or possibly of abbandoned it.

Nice job though.
 _GOTOTOP