_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DUKW - Need info on plywood floor
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
Question for anyone with reference material or knowledge of.

I know that the storage doors on the floor of the DUKW were made of plywood, but were they painted? If so, does anyone have any photos showing typical wear and tear. Even if they weren't, any photos of the doors would be great. Thanks.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question for anyone with reference material or knowledge of.

I know that the storage doors on the floor of the DUKW were made of plywood, but were they painted? If so, does anyone have any photos showing typical wear and tear. Even if they weren't, any photos of the doors would be great. Thanks.

I believe they were painted in most cases.

At least in the restored vehicles I have seen they are.

I don't see why they would be left bare, certainly not in a marine environment.

Excess wear would go throught the paint ans show some lighter color underneath. And deep scrathces or gouges from moving loads would show throught to wood as well.

Steve
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
That's what I figured. I'm guessing that most likely then the exposed areas would have had a greyish appearance in some cases as well as having new wood scratches and possibly even some white staining in cases where it may have been used in a salt water environment.

I was thinking of applying some wood decals, followed by a coat of clear, followed by some masking agent then apply the color then remove the masking agent to reveal some of the wood underneath the paint. I guess I want to know if that would look correct.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
By the pictures on this walk around site.....it looks as though the floor was metal.....I could be wrong though....if you built your DUKW from the directions only...you probably put the front cargo box wall in backwards....a little mistake made by the company......every kit I've seen built of it in mags and online have had that part backwards as per kit instructions.....should go to show everyone....don't always trust kit instructions......work with references as much as possible....specially when there is so much available on the net.
Here's a link to a DUKW walk around.

http://www.kmk-scaleworld.be/walkAround/DUKW/

GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:38 AM UTC
Based on my research the floor appears to be metal not wood. The panels of the floor were designed to lift out to expose the bilge and drive shafts. I doubt wood could have withstood the punishment most DUKWs went through with heavy cargos etc.
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 01:37 PM UTC
Just great. Stupid instructions.
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:34 PM UTC
This was discussed on Missing Links and the guys who owned them said they were plywood.

PH
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This was discussed on Missing Links and the guys who owned them said they were plywood.

PH

That's what I thought too. Though both materials could have been used...

Steve
cdave
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:23 PM UTC
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was thinking of applying some wood decals, followed by a coat of clear, followed by some masking agent then apply the color then remove the masking agent to reveal some of the wood underneath the paint. I guess I want to know if that would look correct.

I'm not sure how large these parts are, but rahter than a decal you might want to replace the wood parts with thin sheets of balsa wood. You'll get a nice wood grain pretty much in scale and any wear and tear will look like real wood because it will be real wood.
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:30 AM UTC
John has a good idea about the replacement but I would use thin bass wood. It has a miniature grain so you don't have to deal with "fuzzy" balsa.

By the way, did everyone fill the slots on their WWII DUKW??

PH
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC
Which slots are you refering too?

I got a lot of the upper hull rivets replaced last night. Just have one side left to do. I also managed to get the front plate to the cargo area pulled off without breaking it. I'm going to have to clean the area up though, as the glue ate the plastic a bit. Dang Italeri.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Which slots are you refering too?

I got a lot of the upper hull rivets replaced last night. Just have one side left to do. I also managed to get the front plate to the cargo area pulled off without breaking it. I'm going to have to clean the area up though, as the glue ate the plastic a bit. Dang Italeri.

Mark - he's referring to the rectangular slots on the stiffening rails along the sides of the DUKW. This is a late-model DUKW feature intended to help cut down on rust buildup - by having drainage slots for the water.

Gunnie
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi
I am a bit late but I have a picture of a Korea war DUKW that clearly shows the cargo bed floor covered with wooden planks(= they cover the removable panels of the kit), for those who still hesitate between a steel bed floor and a wooden one...

Just my two (Euro)cents
Frenchy
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:40 AM UTC
OK. Now I know what slots you are refering too.

Gunnie, have you made any progress on yours yet?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK. Now I know what slots you are refering too.

Gunnie, have you made any progress on yours yet?

Yes Mark - I just haven't had the opportunity to upload photos to my website. Tagging on to the other comments here, there are portions of the Cab Floor and Cargo Bed Floor that are wooden planks. They're not steel - but one should never say never with the ingenuity of solders in the field. They did get scuffed and handled roughly - but I didn't overdo the effect. These trucks were also well maintained - as all US equipment was.

I haven't been able to post because my copy of Adobe PageMill 3.0 (Mac) has gotten corrupted somehow. Much to my dismay - PM is no longer produced by Adobe. I'll have to find another website design solution to replace it...

Gunnie
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
I may not worry about the floor too much. I'm hoping to add some stowage and such in back, so much of the floor might get covered up. My biggest concern right now is fixing the cab walls where I had to remove the dividing plate between the cargo area and front cab because it was backwards.

Gunnie, is the turret ring you used from the US 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Truck Assecory Set? I wanted to add that to mine as well (I'm such a copycat).
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie, is the turret ring you used from the US 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Truck Assecory Set? I wanted to add that to mine as well (I'm such a copycat).

Yep! Ain't it nice to have something already made that works out so well?!?

Gunnie
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 07:24 AM UTC
Finished most of the rivet detail on my DUKW. Started on some other detailing such as building a more accurate anchor.

I tried ordering the gun turret ring from cheapesthobbies.com, but they were out. I took second in last months contest and won the Tamiya Jeep. I also went ahead and ordered the 150mm Howitzer. I plan on placing one of them in the cargo area, but not sure which. Most likely will be the Howitzer. That will end up covering most of the floor anyway, especially since I will also be adding other items in there, such as additional fuel cans, rations, etc.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finished most of the rivet detail on my DUKW. Started on some other detailing such as building a more accurate anchor.

For which time period? The DUKW Amphibious Operations Guide (Form YT-4311) I have shows a pic with the anchor - and Italeri's rendition is pretty good. Just needed a little more detailing work, but nothing very drastic. I haven't seen any other good pics of later equipment - though I'm sure there were variations on that theme...

Quoted Text

I tried ordering the gun turret ring from cheapesthobbies.com, but they were out. I took second in last months contest and won the Tamiya Jeep. I also went ahead and ordered the 150mm Howitzer. I plan on placing one of them in the cargo area, but not sure which. Most likely will be the Howitzer. That will end up covering most of the floor anyway, especially since I will also be adding other items in there, such as additional fuel cans, rations, etc.

Looking forward to seeing it and the 105mm in the Cargo Bed. I haven't quite decided what I want to ultimately do with mine. Before passing away, my Father-In-Law gave me his 96th Infantry Division memorial book - and it had a pic of the DUKW Scorpion rocket launcher in it approaching shore at Okinawa. I thought that might be another tribute to him and a unusual DUKW variant to model.

Gunnie
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
Not sure what you would call them, but the flat items are too short and not pointed enough based on the photos I've seen. I've already created the anchor tie down as shown in this photograph and will attempt to replicate the anchor as well.

http://www.kmk-scaleworld.be/walkAround/DUKW/image115.html

I'm going to try and take a photo or two this weekend. I'm not sure if the rivets will really show up all that well in a photo due to their small size.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:37 AM UTC
Yeah - that's a nice photo to work from. Italeri's rendition is a little stunted in the "fluke" area - I believe that's what the part is called. I'm sure some yatchsman will swoop in here and demonstrate superior nautical knowledge at any moment now...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP