_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Brits in the Bocage
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thiese are pics of my Dio entry for the commonwealth campaign. Any comments are always welcome. I'm still learning how to take pictures so my apologies. Enjoy!

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:33 PM UTC
Very nice one! I like the way the Churchill is making its way through the hedgerow.

However, the grass seems to be a like well kept unless it is a garden. Maybe throw in some rocks, branches, longer grass etc.

Good job on both the figures and the tank.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:33 PM UTC
Gday Art
I like what you've done here
There is a good build-up of hedge too, and the effect of the hedge being pushed off the diorama is clever!
The figures look well painted and suitably positioned...
A simple but effective composition all up:)
One thing though... The grass looks maybe a little too 'consistent'?
Some more irregular clumps interspersed with the shorter grasses would change it suitably IMHO
Cheers
Brad
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 06:39 PM UTC
Yes, yes! I like this very much were you inspired by a period photo? I'm sure I've something similar.

I like a dio that can be viewed from different angles and this one is great for that. I agree with the others about the grass though, maybe some debris from the bushes would help?

Thanks for sharing

Matt
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. I tried to make the grass look something like Heki wildgrass but it did not turn out the way I had pictured it to look like. I have never gotten WS grass to look right. Every time I try it turns out looking like a scrub brush was or planted in rows. I'll keep trying though. As far as if this was inspired by a photo...No it wasn't. In fact I couldn't find anything on what the hedgerow should look like so I just kind of winged it. I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out though.But you are all correct... The grass does suck. :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In fact I couldn't find anything on what the hedgerow should look like so I just kind of winged it. I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out though.But you are all correct... The grass does suck. :-)

Reminds me a lot of the scene in Osprey´s WWII dioramas modelling book! The hedge has good colour variety, but the materials appear to be too similar. Wouldn´t say the grass sucks though. Its not that bad. The third image from the top, in the close-up, it looks quite good and scale realistic. The problem, IMO, is that the base is built very square and this exaggerates the "golf course" appearance. The 2 grassy areas are shaped too neat/perfect/square and with no other detail and being 100% flat, draws unnecessary focus.
I really like what you´ve done here Art. Good action and a fitting entry to the campaign.
boovoola
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 10:38 AM UTC
I'd add some grass and brush debris to the tracks and hull. Even if this is his first field and hedge in the campaign, by now he's got stains and grass, twigs and leaves stuck on his tracks and bow. Scrapes on the sides too.
Don
modelerama
Visit this Community
Macau S.A.R.
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 05:21 PM UTC
VVery realistic dio! I like the setting and the figures very much! It's a very good modeller's work!
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 02:56 AM UTC
May I ask what figures they are and where you bought them from???
TankTrap
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 03:54 AM UTC
That is a really cool dio man.
Looks kinda clean.
Might need to do some damage and weathering.
Good work
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Boovala & Tank, - you're right the dio is a little too clean. When I was painting and weathering the Churchill I had a major crisis! The thinner I was using was way too powerful!! It lifted the paint even after I had coated the vehicle with future! I then made may first attempts weathering with Mig pigments and had mixed results. I'm still learning how to photogragh as well. Alot of the detail and weathering on the tank didnt show up very well.
Tuff -
The figures are DML's Commonwealth figures. I was not very happy with this particular set from Dragon. Maybe I was unlucky enough to get a bad sample. The detail on the figures was very soft and i experienced alot of fit issues that I normally don't with Dragon figures. My wife really got sick of me complaining about them. I really had to do alot of filing, sanding and puttying on them. I also changed out the kneeling figure's head with one from Hornet and changed one of the helmets on another.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hi Art,

Nice work, simple and effective. Hedge looks great. A little kit on the Churchill might be appropriate and maybe a dead cow lol, lol.

Thanks for sharing.

Al
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC
HA! Dead cow! Actually the idea is prettycool....I like it! :-)
 _GOTOTOP