_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Mark VIII/Crocodile barrel
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 07:54 AM UTC
Is there an aftermarket barrel for the Tamiya Churchill Mark Vlll/Crocodile series of tanks? Thank you.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there an aftermarket barrel for the Tamiya Churchill Mark Vlll/Crocodile series of tanks? Thank you.

Armourscale do a fantastic Brit 75mm Barrel for the Cromwell and I'm pretty sure they do one for the Churchill also. These include superb Besa mounts and barrels.

See this review for the Cromwell one:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/armorscale/b35015.htm

These would be easy to adapt for the Churchill Mk VII

Cheers
Al
Royohboy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Armourscale do a fantastic Brit 75mm Barrel for the Cromwell and I'm pretty sure they do one for the Churchill also.

The Churchill Mk.VII and the Cromwell Mk.IV/V have the same gun (in 1/1). I've never used aftermarket barrels, so I don't know what modifications would be required to fit the Cromwell barrel to a Churchill model.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, but there is a Rubio barrel for the MkVII.

Hey Gary and Tom,
I just checked my British bits & spares bin and the Cromwell gun barrel will fit the Churchill's gun mantle.
I also checked the Jordi Rubio barrel (TG-33) and it's about the same length as the Churchill kit's gun barrel.
There should be no problem fitting the metal barrel.
BTW, Aber makes 2 6pdr barrels for the Cromwell/Centaur, a Mk III (35 L-01) and a Mk V (35 L02).
I've started back dating a Cromwell IV to a Cromwell I.

jjumbo

p.s. Have a Merry Christmas
Tarkus
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hello,

Just checking, but you are looking for a 75 mm gun for your Churchill ? Because in your question, you wrote VIII/Crocodile.

As far as I know, the Churchill VIII is a CS tank. Thus, it has an 95 mm howitzer replacing the 75 mm gun, as the Churchill V. OTOH, the Crocodile, based on the VII, has a 75 mm. Hence my inquiry.

Cheers
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

Just checking, but you are looking for a 75 mm gun for your Churchill ? Because in your question, you wrote VIII/Crocodile.

As far as I know, the Churchill VIII is a CS tank. Thus, it has an 95 mm howitzer replacing the 75 mm gun, as the Churchill V. OTOH, the Crocodile, based on the VII, has a 75 mm. Hence my inquiry.

Cheers

The crocodile could be on any late Churchill. Australia had 1 in 4 as MkVIII and all were equipped as Crocodiles. These were from stock that was earmarked for the Invasion of Japan.

Armourscale also do 6 pdr sets, see the link in my other post. Should be a no brainer updating the kit with one of these or the Jordio barrel
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 05:45 PM UTC
I did mean Mark VII. Sorry for the typo.

And I bought the Jordi Rubio Barrel, which was listed as for the Churchill tanks I inquired about. Currently I'm doing a Korean War Crocodile. Thanks all.
Tarkus
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The crocodile could be on any late Churchill. Australia had 1 in 4 as MkVIII and all were equipped as Crocodiles. These were from stock that was earmarked for the Invasion of Japan.

You mean there were Crocodile armed with a 95mm howitzer ? This would make a very interesting conversion. I mean, talk about packing firepower ! If I'm not mistaken, this is the only difference between an VII and a VIII.

At any rate, thanks for he correction. What I said earlier was based on Chamberlain British and American Tanks of World War Two (p. 69), in which the author doesn't even mention Churchill in australian service... (see p. 182).

Best

JV
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
No Worries, I'm down the RAAC in late Jan and will get some pics for you. Would have been a potent Close support AFV.
Cheers
Al
Nick61
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 05:08 AM UTC
Greetings All

BE aware that the Churchill VIII had a different turret from the Mk VII see site below

http://www.armourinfocus.co.uk/a22/

go to articles then 95mmHowitzer Armed Churchills article. I think it would be possible to modify a MkVII turret.

I'm still not certain that MkVIIIs made it into service in NW Europe but the Crocodile makes an interesting combination.

Have a Very Happy Holiday.

Nick

_GOTOTOP