Pier 51 - 4 Mules for Sister Sarah and Bits
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 06:59 PM UTC
Greeting all,

Some slightly better pics of the 2nd Bedford. Still need an L for the WD number and AOS undecided. Z required on the water trailer as well. Some of the work horses of the British Army.

Some additonal bits for the pier are also included.

Bedford GS

Bedford GS and GS Special

Both Bedfords and 15cwt Radio Truck

Bedfords, 15 cwt RT and Chevy Gun Tractor

Accurate Armour Crates

Possible crews

I was thinking of having a small 'partty' going on in the back of one of the trucks lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
tuffners3169
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
I like the effect on the canvas that covers the back of the truck. How was this done or did it come like that.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hi Lewis,

The tarps were made from Klennex tissue. Cut the size you need, it doesn't have to be exact as you can trim it later, fold it up and dip it in some Watery PVA glue, squeeze most of the glue out and then carefully separate the tissue to the size you need and fit it to what ever you want to cover. Before it dries completely add a watery coat of paint and this will help strengthen it up. Once dry you can wet the whole thing again, take it off and paint the underside,

Try a few experiments, it's not as difficult as it might sound and the tissue will dry strong and fairly solid. Then weather and paint it to suit your needs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 01:13 PM UTC
Cor blimey old bean!
The effort you are putting into this is really reaping rewards! (Say THAT 10 times quick)
A lovely collection of little-modelled vehicles...
And yessir, the tarps look beaut...
Oh, and thank the 'eavens above I've got broadband to access this post! :-)
Great work
Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

Thanks for that and glad you like em. They were a lot of fun to build and I learnt a lot too. Turn out OK in the end although I didn't think I could actually make the Bedfords.

It would be nice to see a new plastic GS and retooled versions of the 15cwts, just to bring them up to todays standards,but these old girls still produce a pretty decent kit.

Cheers

Al
tony55
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:43 PM UTC
Alan,
They all look really good. Love the tarp' I shall have to try that myself.
As for the party, half of them look like they've had one already :-)
Good idea.
Cheers
Tony
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the feedback. The tarps work well and seem to have proved popular. It's cheap and you can expeirment around until you get what you want.

I used the same technique for the tarps on the boats and the DUKWs I built.

Cheers

Al
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
The old glue and tissue tarps! It has been a long time since I saw these done so well. We can deam on about a new 15cwt, 30cwt...........the list is a long one. Rather than boozing it up, shouldn't the be brewing up?
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 09:35 AM UTC
Wow fantastic stuff, and the tissue canvas is stunning!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The old glue and tissue tarps! It has been a long time since I saw these done so well. We can deam on about a new 15cwt, 30cwt...........the list is a long one. Rather than boozing it up, shouldn't the be brewing up?

Hi Randell,

By the time all the bits get built AA may have released their YMCA Canteen truck so tea and spam sandwiches may be on the list on the Sea Wall Road. The party may be at the other end of the pier - we shall see lol, lol. There seem to be a lot of British figures either drinking tea or sitting around lol, lol Hmmmmmmmm.

Re some new plastic trucks I always live in hope lol, lol. If italeri issue the 40mm Bofors as a separate kit form their ELCO Boat, who knows they might do a Bedford QLB to tow it. Now that would be cool.

Hi Kevin,

Glad you like them. Ther tarps worked out well.

Cheers

Al
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:46 PM UTC
Nice work, Alan. I especialy like the Bedfords. I've had the old Peerless kit forever and have wanted to do something else with besides the gun portee.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback.

Accurate armour, Plus Models and Resicast all do a Bedford Cab. The Plus models one has the open window and the Resicast one comes with 6 wheels as well I think).

There are a lot of possible body styles to choose from and some good reference pictures around.

I used Bedford to Berlin - OL: The Forces Favouriet 4 x4 by Robert Coats as a reference and a lot of help from fellow modellers.

Look forward to seeing yours soon

Cheers

Al
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 04:00 PM UTC
I also am very impressed with the tarps covering the trucks Alan .
I have a Famo (Tamiya 1/35)) here that is just crying out for a tarp to cover part of the load it carries, but I had put making one into the messy, difficult basket, but with your conscise and straight forward explanation of how to go about it I will give it a go. I presume you are talking about acylic paint with using a watery solution applied before the tarp is fully dry.
Just that I am an enamal painter (dinosuar) but have a modelling friend who is a dedicated acrylic man who will help me out

The pier will be a very impressive diaorama when finished.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hi Erin,

Yip, I use acrylic paint, just normal Tamiya stuff, highlights and dark areas were done with a darkening wash of Vallego Burnt Umber and then adding matt black to darken the umber at each consecutative stage but limiting hte areas that were treated each time. Then I addded a dusting mix of Mig Pigments Light Dust and Brick Dust to finish it off.

If that makes sense.

You can use whatever colours you want, below are a couple of pics of the LCMs. I used Buff, Dark Brown and Black for the colours if I remember correctly.

Tissue costs nothing so you can experiment away until you get comfortable with it. I double the tissue over or fold it into the middle to give it extra strength, the watery glue will bond it together.

Have a practice go or two first, and you'll soon get the hang of it.

Hope this helps. Any questions just ask.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP