_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pak 40 colour schemes and wheel ages
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi,
Am about to embark on a diorama centred around... you guessed it a Pak 40 and am using the DML kit. This comes with the option of 3 wheel types and muzzle breaks. I know from the reviews on the Perth military modelling website that the different muzzle breaks relate to different stages of production; early, mid and late as shown in the link below for aber aftermarket barrels:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/aber/aber35l19-25.htm

The review of the DML kit also states that the stamped/solid wheels are an early design while the others are later. Therefore I imagine each wheel type should correspond to the muzzle break, is this correct? If so which is the mid and late wheel type?
After writing this I bet it tells you in the instructions (I have sent mine to my home in England and won't see it till the weekend) but it can't hurt to ask.

Also I was wondering if anyone has any good reference pics for paint schemes?
I can't seem to insert pictures (please help!) so i'll put up URL's.
I was planning on going for this camo scheme:

http://www.twenot.nl/pak40.htm

but maybe slightly more like the second gun down in the camo schemes tab on this page:

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA6250

Would these be suitable for the Russian front? (Not in winter obviously)

Any help much appreciated,

Many Thanks,

James
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
htm

The review of the DML kit also states that the stamped/solid wheels are an early design while the others are later. Therefore I imagine each wheel type should correspond to the muzzle break, is this correct?

Actually, I wouldn't think the wheel design would have any connection with the muzzle brake. The wheels were interchangeable items supplied by subcontractors and likely weren't even used in the order they were manufactured. Best bet is to just choose a particular gun and use that weapon's wheel and muzzle brake combination.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 05:44 PM UTC
Thanks Gerald,

Thats a good point, I never thought about it like that.
The reason I wanted them to match up was because I wanted to show my Pak with some battle damage, including a replacement wheel in a different camouflage scheme - Showing that the wheel had been replaced as you mention. I suppose the wheel type therefore won't matter as long as the camouflage differs from the main body of the gun. I was thinking doing it in a panzergrau type camo to contrast to the yellow, brown and green scheme of the gun? Would it be likely to find guns on the eastern front in both these schemes within a similar time frame (Im thinking 43/44 winter)?

Theres always artistic license, but its always nice to know!

Cheers,

James
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 05:23 AM UTC
Well, the dark yellow scheme had been in place since the previous February, so most frontline pieces of equipment would likely have been repainted by December, at least partially (on tanks, one sometimes sees hybrid schemes where the gray is the base color and the dark yellow is a disruptive camouflage color, sometimes in combination with the olive green and/or the red brown). Still, a wheel salvaged off a scrapped gun might still be in the old scheme, so why not? Looking through the "Panzers in the Gunsight" and "Panzerwrecks" books, one can see much stranger combinations.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 03:16 PM UTC
Thanks again Gerald!

Just what I needed/wanted to hear.

Have a great christmas mate,

James
The_Gunner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hey James,

I always manage to find these things way too late; I know I’m replying to this about a year after you wrote it. But this may help someone out.

The idea about a replacement wheel sounds like a good idea. As we all know the Germans never just switched production in the blink of an eye but used parts up till they ran out. However you need to be careful here. If the wheel is of a different diameter it may upset the "trunion tilt" of the gun. Making the gun tilt so far that one of the spades wont touch the ground and therefore not keeping the weapon stable. A big problem with split trail guns, and one the crews would understand. If the wheels are the same diameter, I say blast ahead. If not just use the same wheel with a different cam scheme like you suggested.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 03:07 PM UTC
Good Point, Thankyou.

However, as all 3 wheel designs are supplied in the Dragon kit Im sure they are all of the same diameter (They certainly look the same, but I will check). I was just going off the idea (through laziness really - Shame on me!) of changing the wheel but I may now go for it.

As it stands i'm airbrushing the main body of the gun in the typical dark yellow-red brown-dark green camouflage scheme and was thinking of doing the replacement wheel in panzergrau (german grey) as the base colour with either dark yellow or dark green as the disruptive colour - I am unsure wether to airbrush this or to hand paint it to give the impression that the original crew did a quick slap-dash job and hence couldn't be bothered to paint the entire thing. Also there is the possibility of doing a white wash winter scheme over the wheel.

Arrrgh! the possibilities! Someone please help!

I cant even decide which of the 3 dragon wheels to use for each wheel!

James
 _GOTOTOP