Hosted by Darren Baker
HMMV in progress.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
I got caught up in the HMMV enthusiasm. Did not care for the rubber tires so cast up my own. So far so good, even though the Wrangler is missing. Corrected the picture to a linked thumbnail.

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 02:45 AM UTC
It has been slow going thatnks to having ot earn a living. Ready to try painting the base model. Still trying to get the radios set from Pro Art. I plan on mounting a 50 on the post mount.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
Its addictive isn't it. (I'm working on my fourth)

As for the model, its very nice. The support bar is great. I'm assuming that this will be turned into a guntruck. I definitely can't wait to see this done and trust me, the Pro Art set will be worth the wait. Keep us posted

Merry Christmas
Jeff
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 07:08 PM UTC
Your build is looking good, Randall. The wheels you cast turned out pretty nice. I'm guessing you already know that they have the old tread pattern instead of the new one, but that shouldn't be an issue (I've seen OIF Humvees with the old tires in pictures dating as late at 2005).
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got caught up in the HMMV enthusiasm. Did not care for the rubber tires so cast up my own. So far so good, even though the Wrangler is missing. ]

Wow, cast your own tires?! I am so humbled by the skill level of people on this site. Just wanted to let you know how impressive this is to a veritable novice!!!

Gary
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Jeff,
It has been very addictive, and having to wait for the reference books only added to the urge. I am making this one into a "patrol" truck. In the HMMV campaign thread is a picture of a stripped down truck from early in IOF. I borrowed the idea for my own version. The support bar is out of the Calibre 35 open top set which is very nice, but pricey.

DeskJockey,
As this is intended to be an early IOF I decided to use the kit tires cast up. I did find 2 sets of AM tires at a local HS. Both are poor. One set had centers so thin the the lug nuts were about to fall off, and the other has tires out of round so bad the rims were oval shaped. As I have seen both of these sets used on models with out these problems it was a real surprise. For future trucks I may just order dirrect.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 11:22 PM UTC
Gary,
I have been casting for about 12 years now so it is almost second nature. I cast up the tires because I don't like the hollow rubber ones. When I make up a new or modified part I like to cast it so that I have copies for future projects.

I am willing to cast small quantities of parts for fellow modelers. I have been doing so here in Arizona for a long time. My rules are simple:

It has to be your own creation, or a kit plastic part being converted to resin (like the HMMV wheels). Small in size, no tank hulls, turrets etc. Small quantities, 20 or less. It has to be castable! Minimum fee is 20 dollars.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 09:15 AM UTC
Since you are using a picture for reference, then make sure that the wheel type is correct. Nearly all humvees in support of OIF and OEF use whats called an aggressive pattern. The one's you cast (I'm assuming from the Tamiya kit) are the older and outdated bias-ply tread.

Jeff
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:05 AM UTC
Jeff,
Thanks for the advice. I am not making an exact truck this time, more of a combination of add ons just for fun. From the pictures and time frame of the trucks I plan on building, the older tires will work for most of them. I do have the MIG M1114 so will be looking for replacement tires when I get to that truck.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
Randall--I figured it would be an early OIF humvee. I've seen quite a few pics of guntrucks, M1025s, and M998s from '03 and early '04 that have the old tires.

When you start looking for wheels for the M1114 I suggest you look at the Mig wheels. I have a set, and the casting is first-rate--they have no air bubbles (that I can see), the pour stub is relatively small, and the detail is pretty good. I also have the Blast set, which is good but not as good as Mig's--the hub detail is better, but the tread pattern is a bit on the soft and shallow side and there are a few bubbles near the pour stub.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have the Blast set, which is good but not as good as Mig's--the hub detail is better, but the tread pattern is a bit on the soft and shallow side and there are a few bubbles near the pour stub.

Don't forget the typo (?) in the manufacturer's name on the tire wall : "GOO YEAR"... (this type of tire must have a better grip )

Frenchy
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It has to be your own creation, or a kit plastic part being converted to resin (like the HMMV wheels). Small in size, no tank hulls, turrets etc. Small quantities, 20 or less. It has to be castable! Minimum fee is 20 dollars.

Thanks for the info Randall. I have yet to buy so much as an aftermarket or add on to any kit. For now I'm building OOB kits but I can't help to admire the level of skills I read about here.

Thanks,
Gary .
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I am probably going for the MIG set for my M1114. I have the Concord HMMWV in Iraq, the 3ID pics kindly sent by Mark and pictures my nephew took in 2003 to 2004. Most of the older trucks have the bias ply tires.

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:21 AM UTC
Best laid plans. Went to put a base coat on the truck, new paint, new compressor, old by hardly used air brush, plenty of time, no thinner! Unusual for Arizona, it started to rain, and you do not drive in the rain here because the idiots go crazy! I did get thinner later in the day after things calmed down, but by then I had discovered the link to a superb set of pictures on gun trucks in IOF in the HMMWV campaings thread. So, I had to rework the gun mount and add a bit of plate armor. That, and I just got a copy of Thunder Run to read! But, if all goes well on Thursday I just might get some painting done, after I finish that chapter of course. Here's the truck after a few more add ons.

Removed by original poster on 12/28/06 - 16:19:08 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/28/06 - 16:21:39 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/28/06 - 16:21:21 (GMT).
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hi, please look on Humvee Resin Wheels Comparison Review.
linkname http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/misc/hmmwv_wheels.htm
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 07:56 AM UTC
Randall--that guntruck is looking very nice! Can't wait to see the finished product.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:42 AM UTC
looking good. Keep chiping away at it. Can't wait to see it finished/
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:48 AM UTC
I like where you are going with this. Your concept is good. The side walls and the supports look great. A couple of points to help you along the way. First, I would gander that the wheel would need to be secured down (something you probably thought of doing, but just had to mention it in case you didn't ). Two, your placement of the .50 cal doesn't look like something a Soldier would do since there is no room, if the vehicle had to be in the rear of a convoy, for a Soldier to rotate the .50 cal and cover the rear.

Like I said before...or think I said before...I seriously can't wait to see this done. Keep it up.

Jeff
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 08:06 AM UTC
I am waiting for a day off to paint. I work 3 12 hour days this week and have been to tired to try painting. It would also seem that the first real rain we have had here is months starts the day I buy paint.

Jeff, there are bolts heads on the spare tire, and there is a mounting bracket on the fender. The tire blocks the view.

I agree about the 50 cal, but I placed it there based on pictures, including a few my nephew took of trucks used by his 1IF unit. I have noticed on the trucks made up after 2004 that the guns are set up for all around defence. Live and learn!

Added a pic from my nephew Chris. This guy has a lot to learn!

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, please look on Humvee Resin Wheels Comparison Review.
linkname http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/misc/hmmwv_wheels.htm

Thanks, very informative.
 _GOTOTOP