_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mickey Mouse Pattern on Achilles
Fabian
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 03:44 PM UTC
I have just started building the Academy Achilles (actually its more a M10 than an Achilles ) I would like to paint it with a Mickey Mouse Pattern Camouflage. The problem is that I couldnt find any original pictures of an Achilles with MM Pattern. All the tanks were painted only in Olive Drab.
Where there any Achilles tanks with MM pattern? Was there a specific unit that used the MM on their Achilles'?
I hope someone can help me with that isue, thanks in advance!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 04:50 PM UTC
Fabian, i've got my doubts that you will find much with the Achilles with this scheme at all. Certainly two-tone DID exist on M10s but MM? The two-tone you are liable to find will be 'feathered' (softer edges) rather than the 'harder' edges of the MM scheme...
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC
Without stating definitively that there was "no MM on any Achillies", there _shouldn't_ be any Achillies with that pattern. The MM pattern was strictly for "B" class vehicles and these were primarily the softskins. The only AFVs that were classified as "B" vehicles would be the halftracks, M3 scout cars and the Canadian C15TA armoured trucks. These were all classified as "Truck, 15 cwt" and, thus were "B" vehicles.

It's certainly possible to find an Achillies with a black over OD pattern, but extremely unlikely to find one with MM.

Paul
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 08:50 PM UTC
Damn! Paul you should have said DEFINITELY NO.. That way there would have been 20 high-definition images cropping up across the board... What an opportunity missed!
Fabian
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 10:15 PM UTC
Thank you both for the help. I havn't seen any Achilles at the moment with black over OD so the Achilles will be only OD
Too bad, i liked the idea of a ODand black Achilles
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn! Paul you should have said DEFINITELY NO.. That way there would have been 20 high-definition images cropping up across the board... What an opportunity missed!

I shall fall upon my Occam's Razor right away...
MarcelDrgon
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
If it is of any help to anyone now, on page 42 of the Zaloga's U.S. Tank Destroyers in Combat 1941-1945 is a picture of an Achilles painted in what closely resembles the MME cammo scheme. The camouflage is only visible on the turret on this picture.
The same vehicle is photographed from its 6 o'clock in the Hunnicut's SHERMAN on the page 375, and I am not sure whether what is visible at the rear plate shows the MME camo as well or if that are only traces of cleaning solvents from re-welding the items stowed on the vehicle to the British stowage pattern.
It has the same vehicle No S235082 as per the Italeri Academy re-boxing, however no unit markings are visible anywhere. It appears that the vehicle at the pictures is at the depots undergoing "britanisation".
25PDRFG
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
I was sure there was something in D Day to Berlin but I cant find my book now
patton76
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 528 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 11:09 AM UTC
If you can believe Italeri, the Achilles from 21st Anti Tank Regiment, Guard Armoured Division, Netherlands 1944, had the MM pattern...

A picture can be found in the instructions.

Dave
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The same vehicle is photographed from its 6 o'clock in the Hunnicut's SHERMAN on the page 375, and I am not sure whether what is visible at the rear plate shows the MME camo as well or if that are only traces of cleaning solvents from re-welding the items stowed on the vehicle to the British stowage pattern.

Looking at the photo in my Hunnicutt, I see no indication of the MM pattern.

You have to be careful as a hard edged black on OD pattern is not necessarily MM. The MM pattern is specific in the fact that it is primarily interlocking circles of black on the SCC2 or SCC15 (or OD for Lend Lease vehicles). The standard MTP 46 pattern was also hard edged and quite wavey, but lacked the distinct interlocking circles of the MM pattern.

The tilt on this truck has MM. The cab does NOT.

This Matador is in MM.

This Tilly is NOT in MM.

Instructions for MTP 46 can be found here:

http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/mtp_46_pt_4a_painting_mt.htm

Make sense?

Paul
 _GOTOTOP