_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
2S14 and T-62M m2005 - in progress
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
Well, if you have been wondering what I have been up to all these months, here is a taste:

SP Designs 2S14 Zhalo conversion for the DML BTR-70. This is a vehicle armed with a 85mm high-velocity gun that was meant to offer general purpose firepower to Wheeled APC Regiments and also to be a shoot 'n scoot AT asset. Because of the rapid advance of man-portable ATGM's that were more powerfull, more accurate, and cheaper, the program never got beyond the up to 6 possible trial and pre-production vehicles.

The build is pretty much a straight up conversion, nothing special added so far except for some SP Designs non-armoured hub wheels to replace the rubber ones in the DML kit.

However, the next build, the T-62M m2005, has lots...

The T-62M m2005 is a upgrade to current T-62's that includes Kontact-5 ERA and is intended for export upgrades.

This too is a SP Designs conversion, for the Tamiya T-62 kit. I have also used another SP Designs kit, T-72 tracks, for this build as well as SKIF's KMT-6 mineplow kit and a Model Point T-62 barrel.

I am adding small amount of detail as I go, the biggest area getting detailed is in regards to the lights and light cage. The light cage/brush guards are made from wire to replicate the real thing. I am also adding the conduit to the lights and on the upper hull/glacis. The lights are still seperate until I get to the washes/weathering.

The green tinting is from heavily diluted Squadron Green Putty which I am using to fill pinholes. Fun fun.

Overall they are both good, solid builds but I will say that I am looking forward to Trumpeter's new T-62 series!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
It looks very interesting. I have never heard about the BTR conversion before.

Keep up the good work - looking forward to see more as the project progresses.
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 07:40 AM UTC
Beautiful. Keep us posted on this one.
gilesosborne
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 08:02 AM UTC
You're a god as ever!!! Attention to detail is quite superb.

FEAR NAUGHT
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi Jacques,
it's nice to see some of your brilliant models again.
Do you know if Sergej will bring some new stuff for Xmas ?
Like you, I'm eager to see the Trump T-62 hit the shelves as I expect Sergej to provide us with very interesting conversion.

Keep on the good job.
Merry Xmas to you and all other fellow modelers from Chad

Olivier
 _GOTOTOP