_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Base for built tank
ToonArmy
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi...i nearly finish my first model; while it will surely come LAST in any competition, but im very proud of it :-)

Im planning to put my model on a base. Anyone can tell me about it (or some links maybe) ?

I dont want to make big diorama or anything; as my budget is currently limited. What i have in mind is a small base; covered with some dirt/rocks/sand with one or two weeds. I know the rocks/dirt varieties are available in plastic bags for train-modeller. But I dont know what material to use for the base, and what kind of glue to stick the dirt onto the base. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
Hooray, at last a question I can help with!!! :-)

Take a look at my first model which I put on a small base,
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/8310&page=1

This is a cheap photo frame, I masked the edges, then filled the middle with "Polyfilla" a plaster type mix. Made impressions in it while wet (cover with a sandwich bag and run tank over it to make tracks). I used "Hamster Litter" a smaller variety of Kitty litter for the surface, I wanted a forest track kind of surface rather than the boulders you get with Cat litter, but crushed cat litter would also do), sealing it to the base with diluted (50:50) wood glue sprayed from a spray bottle. Simply painted and drybrushed with acrylics, and then dusted with talcum powder for the snow.

If I did it again I would add some boulders from cat litter, and also a few shrubs or a small tree for a point of interest, but I think for a first attempt it came out OK. Took a bit of time but not too long, and turned out to be pretty cheap as well.

Good luck, and don't forget to show us the results. Ask away if you have any more specific questions.

Roger (Native of Newcastle upon Tyne)
ToonArmy
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hmmm....cheap wooden frame is a great idea.... I'm off to buy the tool and "ingredients" this weekend. BTW. wood glue is white glue, isnt it ?And what kind of spray bottle did you use ? The Windex - window cleaner spray ? I'll post here again when i have more questions (i'm sure i will). Thanks heaps for the help, Favorisio. Are you going to Leeds with weekend ? I wish i live there

Oh...and for the snow, i found this article about snow, using baking powder Enjoy

http://www.digitaldioramas.com/2002/issue5/dd_snow.htm
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:43 PM UTC
Toonarmy

what kinda model is it??? What campaign???? WW2 modern???

And here is a link from the doc dio site
There are a couple of good articles about making groundworks for your dio.
Doc Dio Features a simple diorama base
there are three features about simple dio bases. look for it it are very good step by step articles.

Hope it is of any help

TJ
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC
Rather than buying railroad dirt, check out the curbside near your home. The colors vary somewhat as opposed to the solid color of the packaged product. If you wind up not liking the color, you can always airbrush it later. Sift it through a window screen and keep the smallest stuff for the base. Mix up some Elmer's glue and water and gradually add it to a container of your dirt so you get a fairly stiff mixture and spread it on your base. When it dries it's like cement, so randomly (if they're not random they'll look stupid) sprinkle a little cat littler or pebbles from your sifted dirt when it's still fairly damp (push 'em in slightly or they look stupid also). I usually affix the model to the base with a screw (solid as a rock) hidden behind a roadwheel so think about the placement of the model early, drill a hole and insert a dowel before all of this or you'll wind up ruining a drill bit.
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 12:57 AM UTC
ToonArmy, glad to be able to help mate.

Wood glue is white glue yes. I couldn't find a "windex" type spray bottle so I used a suntan oil spray bottle, same effect though (dont forget to wash the nozzle fully after use!!). The photo frame I used was about 10x8 inches I think, I left the glass plate in place, but it is a bit heavy (and maybe dangerous?) so next time I would remove it and just use the backing board maybe sealed with a sheet of plastic. It only cost about £1 so it was a pretty cheap base overall. Bigger photo frames can get pricey, so maybe make your own if you're any good at basic carpentry.

Thanks for the link about snow making. Since I made that base I have bought some "woodland scenics" artificial snow which I will use next time. I didn't really like using the talcum powder, smelled too "girly" and was actually hard to clean up as it gets everywhere.

Good luck, and don't forget to ask away.

Roger

PS Sorry to shatter any illusions, but I'm afraid I hate football, so no, I won't be going to Leeds this weekend, but lot's of my mates are. All I hear about is football all day at work, if it's not about Newcastle it's slagging off Sunderland
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:12 AM UTC
If you want a nice looking wooden base for relatively less money. then go and have a look in those really crappy second hand stores for old paintings.
Not the paintings are valuable in this case but the frames where they are in are real gold.
look for the older pictures and then you get some real nice frames with curves and roundings in it.
I step in those stores once a month to look for these kinda things. they even keep them apart for me. I just throw away the paintings as they are almost all ugly
:-) :-) but I have a nice stack of beuatiful good wooden pictureframes for a small amount of money

Just my two cents

jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 02:02 AM UTC
Not too sure if you have these near you but, for smaller models (i.e. jeep, bren carrier, polish tankette etc.) I use a plaque base. I get them at Micheals or A.C. Moore. Craft stores have a variety of bases made of pine that a relativily cheap. The only problem with picture frames(not for me because of my particular line of business) is that you will need to make a secured plate for the middle. Thought the cardboard backs will work if supported in the back during drying.This will help the cardboard from sagging but, over time it can still lossen and fall through without fore thought. Make sure that your "pollifill" or "Celluclay" rides the lip of the frame. This way the cardboard isn't the only thing holding the base up.You could leave the glass in the frame but then the groundwork will have nothing to adhere to. My solution, because I have the tools is to glue and pin a piece of plywood into the frame if at all possible. You could also use foamboard available at most craftstores. I also make my own bases with oak and such, but these still need the proper amount of support under your flatplate. Now.....that your thouroughly confused and scared out of your witts, the only real way to find out what suits you best is through trial and error. Some interesting bases are nothing more than an irregularly cut piece of cork as well as an elaborite hand cut woodworking masterpiece."Have fun with it" should be your formost thought and "Put that away! Someone might trip over it" can be anywhere in your thoughts.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
Here's my two cents worth.

I saw a model tank at the local hobby store a while back on a base that I want to try. It used a simple wooden plaque that was stained and finished very nicely. Had the vehicle mounted in the middle by a scew and nut set up in the bottom of the vehicle and had just a very small 'hint 'of ground work around the tracks to give it some 'enviornmental feeling. Very ,very nice and also simple to do as well.

Take care, sgrity
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
Here's another couple of cents worth for suggestions:

I use acrylic bases for displaying my models. They're quite inexpensive - even less than wooden plaques - and are clear. The one shown here only cost me $3.50. This neutrality helps showcase your model without overpowering it. They are also small - again - not to overshadow your miniature or take up tons of display table "acreage" for one model. The acrylic display base is rugged - will not warp when you place your "earthen works" on it and is a solid platform if you choose to mount the model semi-permanently.

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's another couple of cents worth for suggestions:

I use acrylic bases for displaying my models. They're quite inexpensive - even less than wooden plaques - and are clear. The one shown here only cost me $3.50. This neutrality helps showcase your model without overpowering it. They are also small - again - not to overshadow your miniature or take up tons of display table "acreage" for one model. The acrylic display base is rugged - will not warp when you place your "earthen works" on it and is a solid platform if you choose to mount the model semi-permanently.

Gunnie

Great suggestion Gunnie! But, where would you pick these up?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
I order mine through Potomac Display - you might find other useful items there...

Potomac Display

Gunnie
ToonArmy
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
Great replies lads. Thanks a lot. Certainly helped me much.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:27 PM UTC
A very cheap way is to go to your local junk shop and buy an old mirror. You can spray the frame and plce dirt and white glue on the mirror and hey presto a diorama. simple but effective
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:08 AM UTC
I put many of models in IMEX display cases.If your model will fit in one of those,just spray the base a ground color.Then glue on dirt/grass weeds.Then when it is time to store the model away ,because space has become precioussss,it already has a dust cover,and a seniced base.
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
You could buy a 1/35 display case from Hobby Lobby, and add the dirt and rock to that base. It even has a Lexan cover.. For about $10.00 I think. :-)
 _GOTOTOP