_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Built BMP-1PG on base
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:54 PM UTC
Something I forgot I had done about 2 months ago.

ESCI BMP-1 converted with SP Designs kit to BMP-1PG. Basically, this adds a Automatic Grenade Launcher on the left rear of the turret and a post to mount the AT-4/5 ATGM system that replaces the old AT-3 "over the barrel".

Otherwise, it is straight out of the box. I used it as an experiment in airbrushing, not too bad, if I do say so myself! :-)

The Base: I get some textured paint in a can, spray a piece of Styrene I have cut to size, paint it grey (often times lightening and darkening the paint in the spray cup as I paint to add some depth). Then I add any painted lines necessary (yellow, white etc..) and then I get a ruler and pencil and mark out the lines and "cracks". Finally, I cover it in a wash, then, finally, I hit it with Testors Flat clearcoat in a spray bomb. To attach it to the wood, I use double sided carpet tape, works like a charm.

slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC
Looks great. Could expand on the experiment in airbrushing statement?

Sean
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great. Could expand on the experiment in airbrushing statement?

Sean

Ditto.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC
It looks great. Nice of you to provide a short history of the vehicle. I did not know to PG version of the BMP-1. Thanks.

Can we have a closeup of the vehicle. I will join the others in requesting more painting info - the pressure is on :-)
How is ESCIs kit? Well detailed? showing its age?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 07:54 AM UTC
I put three more pictures up in my gallery. You can increase picture size in the gallery.

The Esci kit is slightly better than the DML kit in that it has non-hollow periscopes and no gimmicky hatch hinges. But both the DML kit and the ESCI/ERTL/AMT kit look to have been molded by the same third party, so they are VERY similar. It is a ok kit to build, but it has many faults. A new BMP-1 would be good, but these old kits are still fun to work with!

As for the paint job, it started with this:

I had built this kit back in 2001 or so and it only had a blackgreen paint job with drybrush, pretty boring and uninspired. So I used that blackgreen as the undercoat and started with some Testors Dark Green mixed with a little Testors US Army Marines Desert Tan at a time, and heavily thinned. I did it a bit at a time, lightening as I went along. I was using this to practice pre-shading techniques and also to learn to thin paints for different effects. Once the preshading was done, I toned it all down with a light misting of Testors Dark Green thinned 20% paint to 80% thinner. Then I just did the usual with drybrushing and washes, finished off with Testors Dull coat from a can. Last bit was to add some pastels for a dustier look and that is about it, nothing real special.

But I am glad you liked it.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:39 AM UTC
The base is great also!

Gary
 _GOTOTOP