_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
A "Pet Peeve" when it comes to review writing
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC
I'm sure this will bring a rash of replies, both pro and con, but I really have a pet peeve when it comes to writers of reviews. If nothing more, it's (it is) my hope that it will awaken the writers (staff and non-staff) to just what they are or are about to publish (yes, publish).

I just read a review that was put up regarding an "item." This item is indeed of interest to modeler's of "older" things...one of those kits that go for quite a bit on eBay and the likes.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't reviews get looked at by members and the respective designer, publisher, or builder?? How would you feel it you produced an item, started marketing it, and had it reviewed on a major modeling web site? Pretty good I would imagine; especially if you were an up-and-coming company. How about if you were an established company, one that does a lot of volume? Regardless, you would expect, and hope, that the review would be done properly; that is, a good layout, proper grammar, (hopefully) written in the "positive," constructive and well rounded.

Anyhow, the review I just finished reading included six uses of “i” instead of “I,” cases of “its” instead of “it’s” when used as “it is,” and what not. No, I’m not an English Major, but I sure do pick up on these annoying “nuances.” Has it not been suggested that a reviewer, while writing their review, use a program such as MS Word to write the review, allowing the program to “spell check” for them? I believe that’s one very smart and reasonable suggestion. Taken from CONTRIBUTING TO THE SITE: “Just type up your story in Word (or other text editing program).” Operative words: “text editing.” This may well alleviate most grammatical errors. Though not fool proof, it works pretty dang good!

ArmoramA has and will continue to grow. Reviews, especially those that have had samples provided by said designer, publisher, or builder, should be done in a proper and professional manner. One can expect an occasional “oops,” that’s a given. But, if it is prevalent and repetitive, especially in a Staff Member’s writings, then….it must be considered “all good, yes?” I would have to say “No” to that.

I guess what I am saying is if you write a review, do what you can to ensure that it is grammatically correct….you never know just who will be reading it.

For what it's worth, MY 2$ worth.

Mike
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:09 AM UTC
Mike,
I looked at recently published reviews on all 5 sites but was unable to find any serious grammatical errors. I am sure there are such reviews but I am curious to which ones you are obviously referring.

Thanks,
Jim
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:27 AM UTC
Jim,

What is the best way to send you the link to the article without naming names? I do not want to "point fingers," merely point out an issue.

[EDIT - Jim, sent it to you using the "Contact Us" link....your name.]

{EDIT 2 - The response from the "Contact Us" link:
"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at k2smtpout01-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out. "}

Mike
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:07 AM UTC
Mike,

I feel that this is an issue that would be better dealt with through PM's, either to the reviewer in case, or another staff member. To quote
Quoted Text

I do not want to "point fingers," merely point out an issue.

, pointing a finger is quite what you are doing. Whilst your comments regarding the content, lay-out and grammar and general standard of a review are correct, you do give enough examples of errors to 'point a finger' to the review in case. We publish many reviews on Armorama, and not every review is going to be all inclusive or a literary masterpiece. Time constraints, writersblock ( ) or just family life are all part of writting a review. We all do our best, but sometimes the gremlins win... .

Henk
Removed by original poster on 12/23/06 - 21:13:08 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP