_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pak 40 paint?
boyblue
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
I don't have alot of different colors, nothing close to what many of you have, I'm sure.

Locally the only hobby store I have found is Hobby Lobby, and if you don't have one of these, they are large department store type hobby stores, with only an aisle or two for plastic modelling.

My question is about the pak40. I know Germany used grey and a yellowish color for camoflauge in ww2 but I'm unsure of which way to go for two reasons:

1) My limited paint supply. I don't have panzer grey, but I do have a few different shades of grey, and can mix with black if I absolutely have to. I don't know what to do with the yellow spotted camo.

2) I would like to eventually put this pak40 with an m4a3 105mm tank in a diorama. The Tamiya tank I used was built with the later model drive sprocket, and standard paint scheme, not the winter whitewash. When did Germany move to the lighter paint for camoflauge? i don't want to use an earlier paint scheme for the AT gun and a later tank, unless I have to.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
Germany adopted Dunkelgelb (Dark Yellow) as the base paint in February 1943. By the 1944-45 period when your M4A3 105 would appear, it had pretty much replaced the dark gray (indeed, the Pak 40 had hardly been introduced when the colors were changed, so few ever appeared in gray). Disruptive cammo would have been Rotbraun (Red Brown) and/or Olivgrun (Olive Green), though some guns were just left in the base color and depended on nets or foliage for concealment. These colors are available from all major manufacturers.
I am assuming your tank will have overrun the abandoned German position in the planned diorama. If it were still manned, the AT gun would normally engage from hundreds of yards away.
SSJugend
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 07:31 AM UTC
If your gpoing to do a Normandy dio.. the pak 40 should be a dark yellow..if you have Tamiya Dark yellow XF-60 its the right color..Camo was applied in the field and was hand painted or sprayed on...every camo was diffrent from another... the two basic colors were Dark green and Dark brown..You could just leave the pak dark yellow like many were or you can go three tone, ues all three of the colors or two tone ues one of the two... but dark yellow is the color that the factory sent it out with. Hope this has helped you ... post a pic of it when you finish your dio!!
 _GOTOTOP