_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
What should I use?
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hey guys and gals,
Last Friday night I was working on a kit, the first time in 3 weeks that I got to touch it. I was working on a Tamiya's Jeep, getting ready to attach a grab handle at the back of the jeep. When "boink!" the little plastic grab handle shot right out of my tweezers, this little olive drab handle landed in a sea of forest green carpeting, never to been seen again. I am on my hands and knees with a flashlight looking for it, it was a lost cause. First thing Saturday morning the wife has the Hoover out, all hope of ever finding it were sucked up with so much cat hair
What is the best thing to use in making my own grab handle? I also will need the ends flatted to match the other handle.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys and gals,
Last Friday night I was working on a kit, the first time in 3 weeks that I got to touch it. I was working on a Tamiya's Jeep, getting ready to attach a grab handle at the back of the jeep. When "boink!" the little plastic grab handle shot right out of my tweezers, this little olive drab handle landed in a sea of forest green carpeting, never to been seen again. I am on my hands and knees with a flashlight looking for it, it was a lost cause. First thing Saturday morning the wife has the Hoover out, all hope of ever finding it were sucked up with so much cat hair
What is the best thing to use in making my own grab handle? I also will need the ends flatted to match the other handle.

I recommend .020" solder. You can bend it into shape, and flatten the ends by pinching them in the tip of your needle-nose pliers. Works nicely...

Gunnie
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hello Ron,
The ever popular "tweezer launch" eh? Love it when that happens.
Is there a sporting goods store in your area? If so, see if they have fly tying items. You should be able to get spools of lead wire. Possibly .005 , .010 , .015 , .020 diameters. These are very useful. Works easily, can be flattened. However is is also easily bent.
I have used it for making the wiring for tank lights and grab handles.
You also might try florist wire. Can be flattened with the end of your xacto, remove the blade first.....LOL
HTH
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
If it's the one that goes on the back corners of the Jeep, I may have some from an Italeri kit that I can parts with.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 03:06 AM UTC
Again tanks guys and General Sabot sir for your very kind offer. I'll think I'll try my hand a the .020" solder . I got a brand new pair of needle nose pliers for Christmas, and I'll swing by Radio Shack on the way home tonight.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll think I'll try my hand a the .020" solder.

Hmmm sounds like the beginnings of a scratch-builder!!!

Careful Ron, once you start...I'll let you see for yourself. Enjoy.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 04:08 AM UTC
Very slow beginings Ken, every project I try something new. Many moons away from true scratch building. But I'm having fun again that's the main thing.
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
I use small staples sometimes, cut and bent to size....
 _GOTOTOP