Tamiya Cromwell finished and IC Firefly part
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hi all,

I ahve finished my first ever 48th scale kit, Tamiya's superb Cromwell. I really really enjoyed making this one, 48th scale is like a breath of fresh air. I used Humbrol 86 and then two light of washes of Winsor and Newton Raw Umber and then Magic Dust pigments (light earth) for the tracks. The Sherman is about 90% complete, I didnt bother painting the rubber road wheels as I will be covering it all up again with mud pigments and it seemed a waste of paint (lazy huh ??). Hope you like the pictures and long live 48th scale !!!

Cheers all

KG
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Looking good so far. On your weathering try using some alternative colours on the wheel mud to break it up a bit and don't forget to weather behine the wheels on the hull proper.

The tracks on the Cromwell were steel and although you've muddied then up the black plastic is still showing through. Try painting them hymborl matt 70 first and go from there.

If you want some mud try using ordinary garden soil add water and dab it on where you want it. You can add different pigments to different parts to get a more realistic effect.

Road wheels on the ranks were rubber and would have had a greyish look to them.

Your getting the idea of it, but take a bit more time with you painting. Think about a real vehicle, the mud will be around the tracks and sides, the further up the vehicle you go the cleaner it will be. There will be greese and light dust on the top surfaces, oil stains around the fuel caps etc.

Athough you've said you haven't painted the wheels of the Sherman because it doesn't seem worth it, they will show through.

These look lijke nice little kits and if you take you time you can use them to experiment with different painting techniques.

Try making a water wash of slightly darker green and running it all over the tank first. Let it dry for a couple of hours and see the effect. There are lots of good articles on site about painting techniques and I don't claim for a minute to be any kind of expert but your builds look good so it is worth taking a bit of time to paint and weather them as best you can.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP