_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cut Away Help
grapejuice
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hello All,

I have a question regarding doing a cut away display. I'm planning on building a Dragon Jagdtiger and I have the Verlinden interior that I'd like to show off by having the roof removed and the access plate for the driver's compartment/transmission open. In doing this I'd like to be able to set it all back in place without too much distortion or ugliness. I know you can use a #11 to carve it out but this seems risky (for my fingers) so is there a better way?

I've never done this before so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
Without having two kits, one for the hatch and roof and one for the hull, just the thickness of the cutting tool will remove alot more material than you would like. The gap would be large enough that when replacing the hatch it would not look very appealling.

You could try to drill around the pieces with a small jewellers drill. Make the holes right side by side and when you have gone around a quick swipe with the knife should remove them.

cheers
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
dental floss can make a fine cut without loosing too much material. It's tedious, but it works.
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 07:45 PM UTC
A jeweler's saw will make extremely fine cuts. The blades come in a wide range of thicknesses, with the finest being so thin that you can snap it just by looking at it, though it's nothing that can't be tamed by a bit of practice. They're available from any jeweler's supply.
 _GOTOTOP