_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SU 76M...again
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi

I know that this has already been discussed, but is the Alan/Dragon/Maquette (...) SU 76M that bad ? I think that one of these vehicles could keep a T-34 company in a Korean war project and I would really like to build one. What are the aftermarket sets for it ? I've read that Airwaves makes one but got no info about it. What about the tracks ? Friulmodel T 70 tracks are said to be too narrow for a SU 76. Any encouraging informations would be welcome...
Spassiba in advance
Frenchy
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

is the Alan/Dragon/Maquette (...) SU 76M that bad ?

Uh, yes.

Unless you're looking for a challenge, it is best avoided. Everything is clunky, too thick, simplified or just plain wrong. The kit tracks are too narrow for the road wheels -- or the road wheels are too wide for the tracks -- at any rate, they don't fit without lots of trimming and sanding.

I built it because I "had" to have one, but replaced or fabricated about half the vehicle. If I did it over again, I'd replace about 3/4 to 4/5 of the original kit.
hummel
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:28 AM UTC
Frenchy,

Unfortunately Bob is right about the available SU 76 (1/35 scale) kits. I have 2 that I didn't build yet, but plan to shortly. I really like the vehicle and am mainly aiming to get one that looks pretty as I don't want to pour too much money into that project. I'm really surprised that the big manufacturers didn't take time to make an accurate one as this was a real Soviet workhorse during and after the war. Perhaps one of DML's mystery kits will be a brand new SU 76.

Regarding aftermarket sets for the SU 76, Eduard has on PE set and I believe MB models has or at least had a PE and Resin upgrade set. I have the upgrade set which basically includes a drop-in fighting compartment along with a few other odds and ends. I think this upgrade kit is out of production, but it wouldn't hurt to post here and other modeling sites to see if someone has this set that they never used. And, yes, Airwaves does have a PE set for this kit, but it is VERY basic; ammo racks, grab handles and perhaps something on the fenders.

I can't comment much on the tracks as I didn't take a real close look at them, but since Bob tackled this kit, he's certainly in a better position to know than I. I am grateful at least that there is an SU 76 in 1/35 scale. This gives us something to work with.

Regards,

chuck w
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:32 PM UTC
Thanks for your replies. I think I'd better drop the idea...for a while

Frenchy
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

I know that this has already been discussed, but is the Alan/Dragon/Maquette (...) SU 76M that bad ? I think that one of these vehicles could keep a T-34 company in a Korean war project and I would really like to build one. What are the aftermarket sets for it ? I've read that Airwaves makes one but got no info about it. What about the tracks ? Friulmodel T 70 tracks are said to be too narrow for a SU 76. Any encouraging informations would be welcome...
Spassiba in advance
Frenchy

Yes it is needs a total rebuild better off to use it for templates and make all the parts yourself from upper to lower. I just built one last year took about 5 months . and do get the Friul tracks and eduard Pe but when you do you can't use their fenders as they sit on top of tracks so start pulling your hair out and by pass-it or use it for templates. I did use the road wheels. and radio boxes a lot of stuff is missing and wrong!! Bad Alan Bad Alan
oink oink!!

If you want click on my link their are photos of it at my webshot place
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hats off to you for the job you've done Jeff ! I suppose that the parts of the kit you have used are the dark ones ? This could be called an Evergreen Su 76 :-)
Thanks for the pics
Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP