_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman M4A4 kit info required
tony55
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
Hi chaps
I would like to build a British M4A4 75mm. Suitable for NWE '44 /'45. I have read on various sites of the shortcomings of the Dragon Firefly kits either the hull is too short or suspension is wrong. I will of course buy another turret but which one? Single hatch,twin hatch? I cannot find any decent photo's of the top of a turret
I still need a hull that is accurate. I know Formations do a hull set but this all gets rather expensive by the time I add suspension and tracks etc.
AFV do tracksAF35028 I believe but I know nothing about them. And I think I will need an M34 mantlet from Formations again.
Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Tony
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 01:36 PM UTC
I based mine last year on the Dragon Firefly kit with the Formations M4A4 conversion. I was very happy with that. It fixes the suspension issues. Now that the tasca firefly is out you also could use that as a basis I guess but you would still need a turret. However I read somewhere that there is some speculation that tasca will do a follow on M4A4 based on the sprues this appears to be perhaps true.

So it appears your immediate choices are at least:

Dragon Firefly plus Formations Sherman V conversion.
Tasca Firefly plus turret (Formations or others)

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hi Tony,

I used the Dragon Firefly Vc hull which is correct and used a Tamiya M4 turret, which IMHO is a good turret.

The advantange of this was that the left overs from both kits ie the 17pde turret and M4 hull give you an M4 Firefly Ic. Sort of 2 kits in one.

The only minor issue is the barrel of the Tamiya Turret, which is just a little smaller/thinner than the real thing but it's nothing to loose sleep over.

You can make the Mk V early:

Or the Mk V late:

The left overs will give you a M4 Firefly Ic

Whatever makeup you choose have fun. Hope that helps a bit.

Al
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 05:30 PM UTC
AlanL- excellent use of kits. My buddy did the same thing.

Tony55- The AFV Club tracks are short by acouple of links, dispite the packaging saying they are made for the M4A4. As to kits to use, that depends on what level of detail and your addiction to Shermans. The Dragon M4A4s can be built into nice looking models. Or wait and see for Tasca to release a M4A4 and just build one. Boils down to finances and time and what you want to do.
Either way keep us advise and please post WIP pics.
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 06:40 PM UTC
Gee, you COULD use the DML M4A4. They made 2 different versions in addition to the 3 different Vc Fireflies. They had their shortcomings, but I think the latest incarnation, rereleased about 3 months ago, has the correct suspension and lower hull length. The turret has a few issues but is workable.

As for the AFV club tracks, I don't know if they packaged some wrong or what. I keep hearing how these extended length ones don't actually fit extended length hulls. I've used them twice (the T49s and T62s) and had no problems.

Rob
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gee, you COULD use the DML M4A4. They made 2 different versions in addition to the 3 different Vc Fireflies. They had their shortcomings, but I think the latest incarnation, rereleased about 3 months ago, has the correct suspension and lower hull length. The turret has a few issues but is workable.

As for the AFV club tracks, I don't know if they packaged some wrong or what. I keep hearing how these extended length ones don't actually fit extended length hulls. I've used them twice (the T49s and T62s) and had no problems.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Could you tell us where you got the info on the M4A4? I know it was re-issued but when I asked about it I was told that it was a re-issue of the orignal kit and still had the hull length problem! Have you got the kit number of this new corrected version, as I see at least two more of these in my future.

Cheers

Al
tony55
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:03 PM UTC
Many thanks for all te suggestions. I think I will get the Dragon kit as I have a Tamiya M4 unstarted. Great idea.
Rob,
Do you have any more info on the Dragon M4A4 kit. Number or a review?
I could always get a Formations turret. Not too expensive.

Thanks very much all,

Tony
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:16 PM UTC
I believe it is still kit # 6035. I'd stick with a new one rather than an ebay one to be sure it's "new". I read somewhere, but I don't remember where, that this newest incarnation had the same suspension as comes on the newest 6182 Firefly, along with matching lower hull. The lower hull isn't hard to cure even if it's still too long. Mike Canaday's page helps. The suspension would be a bigger issue as it would require a donor kit if it still has the old Italeri suspension with upraised return roller arms.

Going with the 6182/Tamiya M4 idea isn't bad either, as it would give you two usable kits. Oh, of course, except that that Tamiya kit has the same, wrong, suspension, so you'd still need to address that issue.

Rob
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:48 PM UTC
I recently got a Dragon M4a4 6035 from Hobbyeasy & it had the correct length lower hull from the Firefly included I've not seen these kits in UK but alot of over seas traders seem to have them good luck finding what you want . Cheers Pat
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info on the kit and also the info about the suspension on the M4 Firefly Ic. I wasn't aware of that.

Cheers

Al
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
I agree that it depends on the issue of the Dragon M4A4 Firefly. The latest one is pretty decent. See this review of the last kit:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6182.htm
The only hull issues this one has AFAIK are the missing undercuts in the driver's hoods.
Mike Canaday covers the hull issues in the earlier releases, and the turret issues in all releases:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Garden/4075/Tanks/Sherman/shermans.html

If you haven't bought a kit yet, you could opt for the Tasca kit, as mentioned above.

PMMS has a review of this kit as well.

Hope this helps.
tony55
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi
Mike Cannady also says the 6035 kit has upturned rollers.

here

Perhaps Pat can confirm this. They sure are cheap from the States.
Also forgot to say thanks for the info re AFV tracks.

Tony

blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi tony the issue i have has the same spring unit as in the sherman 111 & M4a2 kits ie level bracket with packing piece & tracks with extended end connectors from the 6182 Firefly kit.Pat
tony55
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 12:19 AM UTC
Thanks Pat.
I will see how much from the USA as I cannot find this kit in the U.K.

Tony
 _GOTOTOP