_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR-70 2S14 SPATG pre-paint build
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 02:28 AM UTC
Just wanted to put up some of the prepaint pictures I have of my BTR-70 2S14 Zhalo SPATG.

This is the DML BTR-70 Afghnistan kit (it really did not matter whether I used either DML BTR-70 kit) with the SP Designs 2S14 conversion. The conversion is the light tan resin, except I primed the turret to see if I did some earlier work correctly.

I also added some brass grab handles and foot rungs.

The final detailing comes from a Eduard PE set for the BTR-70. I added as much of the PE set as I could except for the rear engine louvers and any pieces that were not necessary to replace (like the perscope guards).

Enjoy, I am off to paint! (Larger photos in my gallery, click on the pick to get the larger image).

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
Very unique build. Too bad the vehicle didn't perform well enough to make it out of the prototype stage.

The 85 mm gun had a rate of fire around 20-25 rounds per minute but penetration wasn't good enough.
Hammer6
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 05:01 AM UTC
Nice, interesting build. That gun tube looks too cool.
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:31 AM UTC
Very interesting. Please keep us posted on this one as it comes out of the paint booth.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very unique build. Too bad the vehicle didn't perform well enough to make it out of the prototype stage.

The 85 mm gun had a rate of fire around 20-25 rounds per minute but penetration wasn't good enough.

Thanks for the info Jason. Do you have any more? Info on the 2S14 is HARD to come by, as well as pictures. i was lucky enough to get some from a guy who went through the Kubinka exhibit, and I know there is another prototype in a holding area somewhere. There were said to be 2-6 prototypes.

Also, as I understand it, the reason it did not go into limited production is because the 85mm was inferior to the performance of the newer ATGM's coming out (and they were smaller!) and the 85mm did not offer other abilities as a artillery piece or for direct fire support. Easier and lighter to use ATGM's and mortars. Or so I was told.

I have a what if version I have thought of, using a 122mm gun from a D-30M, Kontact-5 ERA for the turret and hull, and a large autoloader on the rear of the turret. Sounds cool but I doubt it would have really worked...oh well.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:50 AM UTC
That's about all I know about it except that it was called the "Zhalo"...which means "Sting" in Russian.

You are right that the gun just wasn't up to par with ATGMs and other direct fire guns.

How was the SP Designs kit? How did the perforated muzzle turn out in resin?
 _GOTOTOP