_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Miliput for attaching PE?
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:05 AM UTC
I just saw an article on the Ausfwerks site about using ApoxieSculpt to attach PE. Since I don't have any of that but do have some Miliput on hand, I was just curious whether anyone has tried it. I intend to give it a try myself but would like to hear about anyone else's experience.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:38 AM UTC
I guess it's possible, but...to get a good bond, it would seem the attachment points would be too large for the PE part. Regular two part epoxy glue would be strong enough but the cure time would be prohibittive and the amount of glue you'd lose would be pretty high since by the time you could release the part being glued, any excess epoxy would be too far cured to be usable.
cesar
Visit this Community
Santander, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Put any excess epoxy putty in the freezer. It will be usable for some more time than at room temperature (at least seven hours more in my experience with Milliput and Magic Sculpt). By the way I store all my epoxies, putties and glues, in the freezer for a better preservation.
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 01:49 AM UTC
Okay. Thanks for your thoughts. I've used five minute epoxy to attach a few PE parts when I just had to have a bit more time to shift them around than CA glue would have provided, but it wastes a lot of epoxy. I'll try freezing it. And by the way, I should have provided a link to the article I was talking about, so in case you're interested, here it is: http://ausfwerks.com//techniques/apoxie/pe.html
 _GOTOTOP