_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Eye Popping Aricle for Applying Zimmerit in FSM May Issue
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 04:48 AM UTC
Guy's just got my new issue today, and I immediately had
to log on to our #1 forum to spread the news.
Bob Oehlers "6 Ways To apply Zimmerit " in Mays issue
of FSM is truly fantastic !
It put's an end to anyone who looked upon this technique
as being hard to do. As I kept on reading the article, I was literally
getting "Goose pimples " !
I think when I see this man at AMPS I will shake his hand and
commend him personaly !
- ralph
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
I know what you mean... As soon as I read that I had an urge to start building a Tiger. The 'hot knife' method probably looks best for me.
A also liked the articles on brushpainting and modeling Alpha Station. So many models to build and so little time and money....

YodaMan
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 05:25 AM UTC
I saw the same article, looked really awsome.

Question though. Do you find the hot knife method to look just a little bit unrealistic?
I don't think it looks as good as an applied coat of zimmerit or as realistic. Just my opinion
Doppler
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 08:42 AM UTC
Ah man. Everyone gets their issues before me! Maine is so far away... Can't wait to see the Zimmerit article. Got a Panther sitting in its box waiting patiently for me to finish my current project and it begs for Zimmerit.

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah man. Everyone gets their issues before me! Maine is so far away... Can't wait to see the Zimmerit article. Got a Panther sitting in its box waiting patiently for me to finish my current project and it begs for Zimmerit.

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME

Maine? Try Canberra through the local newsagency! I might get it late next month, if not later.

Cheers,
Linz
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 10:05 AM UTC
I agree that the hot knife method looks unrealistic. I've been using Squadron pitty to do Zimmerit for years. On everything from 1/72 to 1/15. A skim coat of putty about an 1 1/2" wide then using an aetists pallet knife cut to a flat edge ( I believe 7mm for 1/35 armor) I add each ridge individually. t may sound tedious but it's actually very relaxing
You can also chip it, put in shot marks and otherwize "ding " it up very effectively.....Mike T

drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 02:07 PM UTC
I just subscribed to the magazine and it seems to get here late also. Everyone else got theres last month and after about 2 weeks I decided that the subscription must not be coming until next month so I bought it at the local hobby shop. Then about a week later it finall came. I hope it isn't that late this month. I guess I shouldn't complain until its actually April.
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 02:45 PM UTC
The May issue was the first I received on my subscription I just started.
I was in Barnes & Nobles on Tuesday looking at the mags and I was like...whoops there's an April issue sitting there, I better buy it, I don't want to miss any.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 09:14 PM UTC
If you haven't checked it out do, Paul Owens article on zimmerit right here in tips & tricks. Like Doppler I also have a Panther in the box, that I'm itching to start on and want to apply zimmerit to. I have a plastic wood filler that I am going to use, it's alot smoother and easier to apply then putty.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 09:53 PM UTC
Is it just me or does anyone else not prefer the sight of zimmerit on a tank? I like to see them "clean", kind of like sports cars, I prefer them clean without all the "whale's tails", spoilers and air foils on them. Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with the ability of the modelers to zimmerit the tanks, I just prefer them without.

I guess my favorite German tanks are ones that I can build in panzer gray looking like they did in the late 30s and early 40s. Very regal looking tanks then, very much like latter day knights.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 10:17 PM UTC
Rob,
When it comes to whale tails, etc.. I agree with you. When I see some little Honda Civic with a big giant whale tail on the back, I just shake my head and laugh. But as far as zimmerit goes I like it, it's a minor appearance change. I don't like rocket launchers, plows, mine rollers on tanks. I was watching a show lastnight on TV, something about a military exercise, the M1A1's had some kind of mineroller thing in the front, they looked like giant crabs or a big insect. I think they look better lean, clean and mean.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 10:26 PM UTC
Toss me in there with the ones who don't go for the "Zimmerit-Look". I like the clean lines of the tank, but I can appreciate a well-done Zim-job.

Gunnie
ongjeff
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 01:36 AM UTC
Too bad, can't find FSM in Malaysia anymore.........!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
Why do you think the hot knife method is unrealistic? I suppose if you know what you're doing it would turn out.
Sabot, Rufus, Gunnie: I know what you mean. I live in a college town, and I see those rediculous Hondas everywhere. I could outrun them in my '90 GEO Prizm with 135,000 miles if I wanted too...... not that I've tried that.
About the zimmerit. I think I'd like to try it on at least one tank, but I wouldn't make it a common apperance on my models. Like you guys said, I also prefer the 'simple' looks of a clean tank.

YodaMan
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah man. Everyone gets their issues before me! Maine is so far away...
Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME

Ahhh...Lucas, you're not the only one still waiting for your issue. S. FL. doesn't seem to do any better with new issues. Although I can wait...zimmerit was not used with OD green. lol

BTW Linz, where is Canberra? Australia?
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 12:14 PM UTC
Rob, as for me I like the Zimmerit, but I have to agree
with you - that for some reason their is nothing like
a German Tank or Halftrack for that matter, in Panzer Grey !
U.S. Olive Drab & German Panzer Grey just seem
to be dominant military warpaint !
- ralph
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 12:34 PM UTC
I finished the Tam King Tiger and added Zimmerit using tamiya putty and a small trowel,looks good to me but the next Tiger will have no Zimmerit.As for those little Honda's with the whale tails and bean cans on the end of their exhausts,Bah my 24 Valve Taurus wagon can blow then away Have a good one!
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 12:37 PM UTC
Oh yes still waiting for the new FSM to arrive in my mail box up here,cant wait to read the article!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 01:23 PM UTC
Hola Gang,

I just wanted to say to all of you cleanliness freaks (no offense intended ) that I LOVE a totally muddy, dirty, wore out, banged up, in field condition tank, or any other vehicle, to me thats the realistic part of the paint job, the finish. And the most fun one to do!!
But then again, thats just me, and me is a figure modeler
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 10:29 PM UTC
I am thinking of doing a fresh "off the manufacturing line" tank and a dirty battleworn Zimmed version.

That is when I actually start building.

MSW
 _GOTOTOP