_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Tiger 1 late
clefmmann
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:58 AM UTC
Does anyone know anything about the Academy Tiger 1 late kit #1385 is it a new kit or what?
I saw it at the Military hobbies web site.

Thanks to all that respond.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
I don't know the exact year of release but all the Academy Tigers are supposed to be good
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:46 PM UTC
Clef, I just built Academy's Early Tiger 1 and its a great kit. I'm assuming the late model you are interested in is probably just as nice. The kit parts have absolutely no flash, the fit is tight all the way around---just a nice build for any modeler--go for it!

ps: If you can, please post pics of your Tiger as you are building, or when complete, thanks.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
Hey there,
I thought that I knew just about every Tiger I kit on the market... I did not realize that Academy did a "Late" Model Tiger I. I checked a couple of online hobby shops and they all showed that kit number 1385 was the Korean IFV.

I'm not saying that the kit does not exist, but maybe, you're refering to the Mid-Production kit?
Here's what I could find -
1348 - Tiger I - Early Version with Interior
1386 - Tiger I Early -
1387 - Tiger I Mid Production - with Interior

I am currently working on the Early model kit. I'd say that it's actually a pretty good, to very good kit (7-8 out of 10) .... and in terms of matching up to drawings maybe just a pretty good kit.. (6-7 out of 10).

If you just want to build a Tiger, get the kit... It's a nice straight ahead build. If you want to know about the issues I have found... give me a couple of weeks and I'll post an article with the "results".

Thanks,
Tim
Tim
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 03:05 PM UTC
I finished a mid production with interior in December and have posted some pics of it at webshots, I liked it a lot, except had few references when building it. It is not a reissue of anyone elses kit. Click below to see some pics of the one I finished.

Rob
plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 05:38 PM UTC
A website for the detail starved is
'www.tiger1.info
this will give you all the details you can stand

oinkies
ps watch installing turret floor its a lil off center build turret and floor and use this to center hull floor plates
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
Iīve built the Erly model of the Academy Tiger I and itīs really a very good kit. I think the late model will be the same because they share th most of the parts. Donīt doubt, buy it.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
Iīve built the Erly model of the Academy Tiger I and itīs really a very good kit. I think the late model will be the same because they share th most of the parts. Donīt doubt, buy it.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:51 AM UTC
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:53 AM UTC
Iīve built the Academy Tiger I Early model and itīs a very good kit. Iīve seen the Late Model in a friends collection and its the same. Buy it.
clefmmann
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:32 AM UTC
I picked up the kit at a model swapmeet and it is just a copy of the Tamiya late tiger 1, the kit also comes with gear for remote control use. and the commander figure is different.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know anything about the Academy Tiger 1 late kit #1385 is it a new kit or what?
I saw it at the Military hobbies web site.

Thanks to all that respond.

Hi clefmmann, actually Academy kit - #1385 is "The UN Korean Infantry Fighting Vehicle APC "

In answer to your question, no the Academy Tigers kits are NOT new releases. I don't know the exact year that they were released. I have #1386 Tiger (early production) Exterior kit. There is also two other kits ...... #1387 Tiger ( mid production ) with full interior & #1348 Tiger (early production) with full interior also.

All three Tigers are excellent kits . A couple years ago in FSM the Academy's Tiger with interior was said to be THE best Tiger kit that money can buy ..... well actually I think it was a review by Bob Collignon ... which is a " word enough " by a very reputable Master Modeler.

- ralph

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP