_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tiran 5 Conversion - the gun
leebo
Visit this Community
Kyoto-fu, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC
I just finished reading a good build story by Nick Cortese using the Blast Models resin set to convert Tamiya's T-55A into the IDF tank. I got the Legend conversion kit for the same purpose, $15.00 instead of $96. (Blast) and it's a nice set. But I noticed in a build photo that the Blast barrel looks longer than the Legend version, and near the muzzle end there's a tie-down, or sight, which mine doesn't have. I checked Verlinden's "Tiran book" but the photos distort the barrel's length, although there's nothing extra on the barrel's end. I then compared my resin barrel to the 100mm gun in the Tamiya kit just for the hell of it - the Tamiya kit 100mm barrel is longer.

So I'd like to know, in the real world wouldn't the 105mm gun be longer than the 100? And shouldn't the Blast barrel be different? Or is it the Legend version that's off?
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But I noticed in a build photo that the Blast barrel looks longer than the Legend version, and near the muzzle end there's a tie-down, or sight, which mine doesn't have.

Legend’s version of the L7 105mm gun is shorter. The barrel that came with my IDF Centurion 1973 conversion set is 10.2cm (102mm) in length. In 1/35 scale the accepted length for the L7 105mm gun barrel is about 11.8cm to 12cm (118-120mm).

The Legend’s barrel is missing ±16-18mm between the Mantlet/trunnion and the bore evacuator (fume extractor).

From the photos I’ve seen there should be nothing on the end of the barrel.

Hope this helps
leebo
Visit this Community
Kyoto-fu, Japan / 日本
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:57 PM UTC
Eric, thank you very much!

It's really helpful to have those numbers. My Legend barrel is 107mm in length. Not good.

In the hours since your posting I've hatched a few wild workarounds to this problem, but finally did enough research to come up with a reasonable answer: Accurate Armour makes a 105mm L7 Gun that looks much better proportioned; it seems the right length behind the bore evacuator. It costs about $10~12USD plus shipping from Scotland or the U.S.

Thanks again!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:09 PM UTC
You can't go wrong with the Accurate Armour barrel. It even has a nice weld seam along the side of the bore evacuator.

ETA: Is Legend another incarnation of Coree? I ask because their Sho't ("Bengurion") barrel is off by about the same amount. In fact, the two supplied barrels, thermal wrapped and non-wrapped, differ by several mm. I'm using a leftover AFV club metal barrel, which is also 4mm shorter than the AA barrel, but not as noticeable.
leebo
Visit this Community
Kyoto-fu, Japan / 日本
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:01 AM UTC
[quote]
[ You can't go wrong with the Accurate Armour barrel. It even has a nice weld seam along the side of the bore evacuator. ]

18Bravo, Thanks for the good word on Accurate Armour's barrel! I still feel a little sore at Legend's error but it was a good lesson. Funny thing about the names & images that companies choose: "legend" can mean "myth","fable", or "fantasy", among others. On the other hand, "accurate" means "correct", "precise", "exact", and "error-free", etc. ! You get what you pay for, so to speak!

I used to wonder why I would ever need just barrels (with and without thermal sleeves) in resin from Accurate when Legend offers the whole package on conversions for IDF tanks. Heh, heh. Live and learn. And I still need more Legend stuff anyway. They are the one best filling the niche, like it or not.

As far as Coree & Legend go, I'm not the expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if two South Korean companies were well versed in each other's product lines. I'd bet on it.
Nagman
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 03:48 AM UTC
Im going to some time in the future do a Tiran 5 conversion also with the
Legends kit, but have replaced the gun barrel with one from Barrel Depot, turned alluminium 105 supplied by Lou Stener, see link. My base kit for the Tiran 5 is a Trumpeter T55 with dozer blade, the Verlinden book is supurb

http://www.armour-models.co.uk/

Removed by original poster on 01/21/07 - 07:50:41 (GMT).
leebo
Visit this Community
Kyoto-fu, Japan / 日本
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hello 'Nagman' -

Thanks for the tip! As it happens, I put in my order for an 'Accurate' barrel several days ago, but I just checked out the Lou Stener link and I must say that's a fine-looking website! Next time I need something - no, let's say as soon as I get some browsing time, I'll be back to scout around that site!

Good luck with your Ti-67! I'm working on Academy's "Blazer" right now, but I'm doing it "on the kitchen table" as they say. Definitely a slooow process!
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im going to some time in the future do a Tiran 5 conversion also with the
Legends kit, but have replaced the gun barrel with one from Barrel Depot, turned alluminium 105 supplied by Lou Stener, see link. My base kit for the Tiran 5 is a Trumpeter T55 with dozer blade, the Verlinden book is supurb

Hi Martin

For the Tiran 5/Ti-67 you will probably use Barrel Depot’s BD35037 105mm Type 81 rifled gun for the Chinese Type 59B - 59-II. The Type 81 is a copy of the Austrian L7s sold to China.

As Barrel Depot’s items are specifically for the Trumpeter T-54&T-55 kits, it should be a drop-fit, with no modification necessary. Also thanks to the prominent ‘mantlet’ of the T-55, when fitted, the barrel should be very near to the correct length (an insignificant 2-3mm short).

When I finally get to build a Tiran 5/Ti-67, my Italeri kit is going to be my Guinea pig, with Barrel Depot’s barrel.

_GOTOTOP