_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
National Hero's Campaign Idea.......
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 04:02 AM UTC
While watching the news this week, I came up with an idea for a campaign that would apply to just about EVERYONE here. On the news, President Bush had awarded the Medal Of Honor to the family of a fallen Marine who had literally jumped on a grenade to save the life of his squad members in iraq. He survived the blast but didnt survive his injuries. I had mentioned it in light conversation to a couple of friends of mine, but neither of them had heard of this marine or that anyone was even being awarded the Medal Of Honor (which is the United States Highest decoration for those who didnt know). This kind of saddened me, but it really made me think.

One of the great things about this site is that as members, we come from all over the world. We become friends, inspire one another, and appreciate each others work despite our differances. And realistically, no matter what country you come from, you either have or had some national hero. Chances are, the rest of us probably dont even know who this person is or was or what they did to become known as a "hero".

So, my idea for a "National Hero" Campaign is this.............
The campaign would be based obviously on some hero from YOUR specific country. This hero would have had to have served in some form of armed service such as the Air Force, Army, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, or perhaps a resistance of some occupation. This person would have had to be highly deccorated in some manner. A campaign entry could be either a figure, a vignette, or a diorama. Vehicles could be used to support the entry if they were used by the hero in some significant form. For example one of Michael Whittman's tanks or general Pattons Jeep. But, the entry would have to have at least one figure symbolizing the actual person who is your entry as historically accurate as you can make it. You would also have to add a short description of the person, how they were deccorated, and what their actions were. Who knows, perhaps one of your family members was a national hero, and what better way to honor them by building their likeness.

I think this would be a great campaign for everyone, that everyone could appreciate and learn from as well as to honor those who have sacrificed even their lives to defend us and our values.

If your interested, please add a reply. If I get enough replies, I will present this to Armorama for consideration. Thanks for reading, and happy modelling

Gary
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:49 AM UTC
Gary, I have liked a lot of campaign ideas for a lot of different reasons, but I think this has to be my favorite so far. I think its an absolutely brilliant idea. Im in.

Im thinking of either just figures, or maybe a dio, of Cpl. Rob Furlong, Canadian sniper who now holds the longest ranged combat kill at 2,430 metres. His spotter was Master Cpl. Tim McMeekin, and their rear-guard on the record mission was American Sgt. Zevon Durham. The Canadians were awarded Mention in Dispatches (a pin that recognized their "impressive professionalism and dedication to duty") and were also awarded US Bronze Stars.
http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/canada/article.jsp?content=20060515_126689_126689
Interesting read if you have the time. The guys got treated like [auto-censored] and pretty much forgotten after, but I would consider them some of the best. The American's all thanked them, and even got them food better than rations (cans of tuna and Mr. Noodles were mentioned lol)

If not them, I may make one of the last surviving Canadian Victoria Cross winner, "smokey" Smith. His story is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Smith and is pretty spectacular.
troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 06:06 AM UTC
Kevin, I did a breif read of your ideas and checked your links. This is EXACTLY what I am talkign about! These are all great people worthy of everyone hearing their story. Perfect! I hope the campaign goes through, Thanks for your interest and input!

Gary
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:17 AM UTC
Thanks Gary, Im really hoping this one gets enough interest to go through as well. Im glad to hear mine would meet the criteria, I may even do both for this one! Commonwealth infantry are easy enough to find, and I have a set of Dragon's US Sniper Team on order which I could modify to be Canadian.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
I don't mean to detract from or diminish your suggestions, but in case you didn't know, Smokey died in 2005. I had the honour to attend his funeral as an official mourner. While I have done many significant things in my career, participating in the state funeral for one of our nation's true heroes will remain among the most memorable ever. None the less, I say continue with this campaign. We don't honour our heroes nearly enough.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 08:36 AM UTC
I'm in.

Kenny
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't mean to detract from or diminish your suggestions, but in case you didn't know, Smokey died in 2005. I had the honour to attend his funeral as an official mourner. While I have done many significant things in my career, participating in the state funeral for one of our nation's true heroes will remain among the most memorable ever. None the less, I say continue with this campaign. We don't honour our heroes nearly enough.

I had some poor wording. I knew he had passed on, and being at his funeral must have been quite something. I had meant he had been the last surviving Canadian to be awarded the VC. When he passed on, he was the last one.
troubble27
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
Well guys, unfortunately, it looks like there isnt much interest in this idea. Too bad, I thought it would be cool for everyone. Well, just because there isnt much interest in this as a campaign doesnt mean you shouldnt model the subjects you had in mind. I know I will be doing a couple of these based on historical accuracy. One idea I had will fit into the OIF campaign if it flies anyway. So, good luck guys, and happy modelling. Post some pictures here if you build something along these lines!
 _GOTOTOP