Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter and Skif vehicles
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
What stores online or other places have these models at the best prices?

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:17 AM UTC
Greatmodels.com or Squadron.com carry them. Prices are OK. Any kit you looking for in particular? Both companies make great and lousy kits.
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
For Trumpeter:

The British AS-90, Korean K1-A1, and Japenese IFV (I think Type 89?)

Rollmodels has them for $15 to $18.50.

For Skif:

BMP-3, SA-13, MTLB towing a D-30, and the Self propelled 122 mm Artillery (Can't think of the name).

Again, Rollmodels has them from $24 to $35. Also, are they worth that much?

I just wanted to know if anyone has them for cheaper.

Thanks,

salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:00 AM UTC
See this thread for info on skif

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/5152&page=1
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 01:21 PM UTC
I've got some of those Skif kits. One thing with the MT-LB and SA-13 (That's the Gopher, right? since it's based on the MT-LB), the windows for the driver and commander aren't molded into the kits. You get the armored shutters, and the only option is to have the shutters in the closed position. On the SA-13 the position where the missile operator sits is also not open. Just a flat slab of plastic where a large window should be. If you get the Eduard PE sets they have parts to correct those problems, or you could just cut them open per your references. But the missile operator position really needs the detail on the window frame, etc. The Eduard PE for the SA-13 is really, really comprehensive. There's two sets actually, one interior and one exterior. Some of the exterior stuff is thinner than a human hair. One of the PE kits has the racks to put the spare missiles into, which is a rather large improvement over the kit, which doesn't have any sort of racks, and the instructions just have arrows showing to put the spare missiles somewhere in the general vicinity of the rear of the thing.

I've got the BMP-3 but haven't started on it yet, so I can't comment much. I've read that the main gun is poorly molded, but I bought some aluminum replacements. Can't remember from who but they were about 25 bucks.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
Roll Models is the best I have found for SKIF kits...so Long as you do not live in Minnesota Like I do...

PE is definately needed for the SKIF kits...and some other items also help. For the 2S1, the SP Designs turret is a great item. It has almost all of the mistakes corrected, and I checked it vs. the article done in MMIR and at least the comments in there were addressed on the turret. Here is a pic/link to the kit:

http://members.tripod.com/saammodels/companies/SP_Designs/conversions/2sm1m1985turret/index.htm

I have all but the BMD kit and I like them...better than scratchbuilding. They need work,but that is ok in my book. They tend to be a littel too pricey for my taste considering the amount of detail they offer, but oh well. Also, the Barrel for the BMP-3 sounds like Modelpoint.

As for trumpeter, Roll Models is the best for the stuff from earlier, but with the new policies at Great models Webstore, I have been able to get the newest stuff cheaper by about .50 to $1. I have all the new ChiCom stuff and the AS-90 and Challenger II, all from Great Models for about $18 even.

_GOTOTOP