_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A1 Sherman Mk II - The Start
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 04:49 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Following on from my previous posts here's the plan :-) :-)

Plan A. Early M4A1 with early suspension DV hatches and Med Style Blanket Box with sand skirts and early gun mantle and Tamiya Turret, Flat rubber pads, Round nose 3 piece transmission, spoked wheels, hanging brackets on the side.. Like the one in the Osprey M4 Sherman Modelling Manual, a pinki.

Plan B Mid Production model like the one I saw in the Wksp in Italy, but with a desert camo scheme. I might change the gun mantle to a later one or just leave it as I had already fitted an early one? Partial side skirts and Med Style Blanket Box, V shaped rubber track, Round nose cast transmission, spoked wheels no hanging brackets. Pretty much OOB build, but with Tamiya Turret.

Plan C NWE as discussed so far. With Italeri turret and split commanders hatch. NWE style bin and frontal side skirts with the Rear Being used as stowage bins, British Steel Track and sharp nose from the Tamiya kit and cast wheels. Will have no pistol port and all will be equipped with .50 cals. Fire extinguishers on the back of the blanket box and first aid box on rear LHS. Could add appliqué armour to the sides only?

Couple of questions: Anyone know what the helmet rack looked like and where it went?

I suppose I should cut off the periscope on the Italeri Turret and replace it?

What sort of syspension would the later version have had?

Cheers

Al
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
Nice set of ideas going here. Helmet rack? Good question. The blob periscope cover really needs replacing. Suspension most likely is the early flat return roller bracket type, but if the tank is late enough it could have the later type. Hull add on armor is a must as it was put on at the factory by this time. Have fun.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Randell,

thanks mate.

Al
 _GOTOTOP