_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftain Mk5 Walkaround
panzerkampfw
Visit this Community
Busan, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi, does anyone know where there is a nice MK 5 walkaround for a chieftain? Ive found tons of MK10 and 11's, but i cant seem to find a MK5 walk around. I have the basic Tamiya kit, with no photo etch, so im looking to add some detail to it myself.

Furthermore, are there any other companies that make the StillBrew version of the Chieftain besdide AA ??

Wardog
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hey Patrick:
The Tamiya Cheiftain is a Mk 3 and not a Mk5 as illustrated on the box There was a company called Comander that had a Stillbrew conversion
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC
Patrick,
Try "Castoff "from the UK, I think they had a conversion , although if I remember correctly not as complete as AA. Maybe some of our friends across the water could tell you if Castoff is any good or not.
Regards
Pete
houborg
Visit this Community
Sonderjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hi,

Check out accurate armor“s webshop - I think they have most UK conversions for the Chieftain.

BR
Morten
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Patrick Castoff did about 4 chieftain conversions from a basic upgrade to make a mk 5 ,a slightly more detailed conversion to mk 8, & 2 stillbrew conversions a mk 10 & mk 11 ibelieve they are available through a company called scalelink .I'm not sure of their web address but they are based in the UK somewhere in the Dorset area.good luck Pat
blackhand
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Patrick just checked their web address is http://www.scalelink.co.uk & the chieffy conversions are still in their catalouge cheers Pat
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC
Long post to follow......

Here are some pictures of the Castoff MkXI conversion. Which Scalelink has listed as Chieftan Mk9 Stillbrew & TOGS (Reference #CR008). At £29.15 is a bit cheaper than the AA conversion which contains a complete tank. There is a small piece to cutout and replace on the Castoff conversion.

The included baskets are molded full. The barrel appears to be straight and it's got a rod cast inside for support. It's hard to make out in the photos but there is a cast texture to the armor upgrade.

Here's the pictures:

Paul
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
How would you rate the "Castoff" conversion?
I've wanted to do a BATUS Chieftain for a while, but am having a hard time with AA right now, so I'd be interested in getting the Castoff item. Just finished AA's Scimitar....not a happy experience.
Regards
Pete
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You've got the raised section in the wrong place, it should go all the way to the rear.

Correct. I was trying to show the before and after.

Pete,

I've also got the Sabre, Scimitar and Challenger correction from Castoff so I like Terry's products. I've got a fair bit of Accurate Armor as well. The AA conversion does look very nice, especially the PE.

£51.06 for the AA vs £29.15 for the Castoff works out to about $40 for me in the US so I went for the cheaper option. Looks good overall. I'm no Chieftain expert so I have to assume it's accurate. The only parts that make me nervous are the mounting of the barrel to the turret which will depend on a good CA bond and cutting out the rear deck. Accurate Armour does have better instructions.

Either way, you at least get to avoid the joy of working with resin tracks.

Paul
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the heads up. The AA conversion is about 120.00CDN, ouch, think I'll look at the "Castoff" version too!
Pete
This post was removed.
Jacko464
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 03:09 PM UTC
[quote]Hi, does anyone know where there is a nice MK 5 walkaround for a chieftain? Ive found tons of MK10 and 11's, but i cant seem to find a MK5 walk around. I have the basic Tamiya kit, with no photo etch, so im looking to add some detail to it myself.

Furthermore, are there any other companies that make the StillBrew version of the Chieftain besdide AA ??

If you check out the features page you will find my Chiertain Mk11 using the Castoff conversion.
Easy kit to use and it goes together nicely.

Jacko
 _GOTOTOP