_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
ww2 weapon in scale 1:1
died
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 - 12:42 PM UTC
hi everybody,

i am planning to make a ww2 weapon in 1:1 after i finished a dio i am bissy with at the moment.

i think i will make a thompsen or a .30 cal. but my question is, does somebody has scale drawings or the measurements of a thompsen or .30 cal? and what do you think is the best material to make it from??
please don't look at my english i know it's rubish i am dutch and 14 years old.

thanks a lot died,
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hello,
Here is a link to a site that sells drawings.

http://www.thompsonsmg.com/MANUFACTURING%20DRAWINGS%20new_page_3.htm

However, I caution you, authorities (in all countries) really frown on 1:1 weapons. Even if they are non-firing replicas. There is no way for them to determine in a split second whether the replica you are holding is indeed a replica.
Several times a year people are killed by the police because they are doing something stupid with a toy that looks like the real thing.(like taking it to school to show friends)
I'm gong to bet that the Dutch authorities will be even less tolerant considering laws regarding gun ownership and possession in most European countries.

Might I suggest that you start with a third scale scratch build of your favorite weapon first.

Cheers,
Charles
died
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
hmmm, maybe u are right.

but do you have any idea what material i need to use?

died
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
Well if you aren't leery of Dutch anti-gun laws and dead set on plowing ahead with a 1:1 then as far as materials the world is your oyster.
You can use wood, plastics, metal or any combination.
I guess it would really depend on what tools you have at your disposal.
My choice would be a combination of wood and plastics as I have some rudimentary wood working power tools available.
I'd make the receiver,stock, magazine and hand grip out of wood and have a plastic barrel, flash suppressor.
If you use a hard wood like maple, it can be sanded/scraped smooth then painted a gun metal color.

I think John Dillinger fabricated a .45 facsimile out of soap to escape prison in Indiana at one point of his career so you can see how realistic these "models" can be.

If your purpose is to just have a 1:1 Thompson you could always buy a non-firing replica gun.

C.
died
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 01:32 AM UTC
i don't think u understanded me, because i agreed with you it is a smarter idea to make a 1:3 scale thompson. I don't have metal working tools so i think i will make it of plastic and wood. but if u paint wood a metal colour won't you still see some wood lines throught it and the structure of wood.

could u please post a few pics of you scale weapon.
thanks a lot for the advice
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 06:17 AM UTC
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quoted Text

but if u paint wood a metal colour won't you still see some wood lines throught it and the structure of wood.

If you use a tightly grained hardwood such as maple you probably won't see grain through the paint. If you use a softer open grained wood you will need to use a grain filler prior to priming the piece. Any woodworking store can provide information on grain fillers.

Quoted Text

could u please post a few pics of you scale weapon.

perhaps another misunderstanding? I have not built/fabricated any scale models of weapons larger than 1:35

Cheers,
C.
died
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 12:15 PM UTC
haha,

oke, we had a few problems with the misunderstandings, but now it's over, at least i hope.

thanks a lot for the tips.
 _GOTOTOP