LVTP5 Road Wheels
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi.

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered but I've looked at 100s of photos and can't find what I'm after.

I'd like some info on the road wheels for an LVTP5. Everything I've seen points to them having a thin band of rubber rather than a higher profile tyer (tier?? whatever) such as an M1 or Bradley. I've looked at photos and they point to this being the case but like all (most) tracked vehicles, the road wheels could just be covered in dust and dirt.

Can anyone help me out. One good photo of a road wheel from an LVTP5 would handy.

Tanx in advance
Shane
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 03:11 AM UTC
What about these :

From svsm website :

To me, they seem to be all metal roadwheels...

HTH

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 03:15 AM UTC
Yes, they have a very thin layer of rubber on the face of the roadwheel that meets the track. The above pics have this thin layer of rubber worn off. It is most likely a display AmTrak that has been sitting still for some time. You can see an inset groove on the roadwheel where the rubber would go. In the bottom pic, it looks like some of the rubber is still on the inner surface of the roadwheel where it meets the track.
Removed by original poster on 01/24/07 - 05:33:11 (GMT).
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC
Ditto Gino. My answer was a bit too hasty.... I've made some more research and I found this :

"The road wheels on the LVTP5 were paired on either side of the center guide teeth, giving a total of 36 wheels per track. One wheel was surrounded by a solid rubber tire, and these carried the vehicle under normal circumstances."
(From : http://afvdb.50megs.com/ )
I've also found this picture on another forum in which the rubber is still visible on the second roadwheels from the right :

In fact I was about to edit my first post and add that may be the rubber had worn off as the vehicles pictured in my first post are not exactly "factory-fresh" but you've beaten me to it !

Frenchy
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:03 AM UTC
This is excellent info. Many thanks for this. I did go to http://afvdb.50megs.com/ but was so busy looking for photos I missed the text. Lesson learned.

Regards
S.
 _GOTOTOP