_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
HEMTT Gun Truck - Mad Max
toby2282
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hello,

A few days ago I saw a model of an HEMTT gun truck called Mad Max. I have done numerous searches on Google, Corbis and Getty Images but have only found the following image which was sent to me.

If anyone has any other photos or pics of this beast and are willing to share I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Toby Knight
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:06 PM UTC
Howdy Toby,

Many thx for taking the time to post this picture of a HEMTT-based GunTruck for us all to see. My first thought after seeing it was; somebody needs to point you at any one of the previous Twilight 2K Group Builds of the past here at Armorama....you will find some superbly built HEMTT-based GunTruck's there.
As to your real world GunTruck I am pressed with two initial thoughts...first, it was only a matter of time before someone built one of these for real. And second, since I know there are many who hang around Armorama who are actively deployed in Iraq, one can't avoid at least entertaining the possibly selfish idea that Armorama might have, in some small way, had an effect in the trucks Genesis.....maybe?

Tread.

PostScript: After taking another look at your HEMTT there Toby, it sure looks alot like our good Dave's HEMTT GunTruck........I don't suppose you had any hand in this did ya Dave? ;-)
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:26 PM UTC
Thanks for the pic man.
jasondiggs
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
Great find mate. Didn't Charles A.K.A ti build one similiar to that one or was it another version? It was called another name.
toby2282
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 03:08 AM UTC
Yes Dave did model a HEMTT Gun Truck in the Twilight 2K.

Enjoy

Toby
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thank you very much for posting that photo Toby. It's always good to look at Dave's handiwork.....
Now we just have to figure out a way to ship a quad fifty set-up over to Iraq so our young warriors over there can practice some real suicide-bomber 'control'.

Tread.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you very much for posting that photo Toby. It's always good to look at Dave's handiwork.....
Now we just have to figure out a way to ship a quad fifty set-up over to Iraq so our young warriors over there can practice some real suicide-bomber 'control'.

Tread.

You make a really good point Gordon. I am really suprised that we haven't seen jury rigged twin or more .50s lashed together on adhoc mounts, especially considering the hillbilly armor movement a year and a half ago. I guess the M134 minigun kind of compensates for that .

Jeff
philp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 01:21 PM UTC
While not a true Guntruck, it is uparmored and carrying a .50.

GenPatton
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
There's a picture somewhere of some guys who transformed a HET tractor into a gun truck...I've been wanting to see some more shots of it, but I can't seem to find the first picture I saw either right now.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? they took one of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/HET_tractor.jpg/180px-HET_tractor.jpg

and added a box to the back of it with guns...

=Anthony
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 03:28 PM UTC
I don't know that it was a HET. I've seen photos of a line-haul truck, M915 I think converted to a gun truck. There should be some fairly recent posts with links to a few sites with gun trucks like this in Iraq in this forum. Actually I thought someone was going to do that truck in resin. That post should be here as well. I think the last couple of weeks or so.

By the way, instead of high-jacking an old post, it would probably be helpful to everyone to start a new post with the subject "Looking for HET gun truck photos". Personally, I almost passed on this very old thread with your recent post, but was curious to see what someone posted.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 05:52 PM UTC
There were lots of different HEMMT, HET, M915, 5 ton, etc. home-made guntrucks in the '04-'05 timeframe. You don't see them anymore though. They have all been replaced with factory-installed armor packages or fully armored cabs now.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There's a picture somewhere of some guys who transformed a HET tractor into a gun truck...I've been wanting to see some more shots of it, but I can't seem to find the first picture I saw either right now.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? they took one of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/HET_tractor.jpg/180px-HET_tractor.jpg

and added a box to the back of it with guns...

=Anthony

There are 2 pics of such a truck in Tankograd's book dealing with armored/gun trucks in Iraq... (Tankograd American Special #3002)
HTH
Frenchy
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 06:34 PM UTC
Here are the two photos Frenchy mentioned…

Here are a few others...

Here is a HEMTT that's on my next project list...

Joe
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:10 AM UTC
Gonna tackle a PLS conversion HUH??? hehe
GenPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is that?

I'm new to armor guys lol.

And thanks for the pics...any kits of that base truck out there?

=Anthony
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:31 PM UTC
While I was stationed in Taji Iraq (Camp Cooke for US Army), I saw plenty of gun truck conversions. I was most impressed by an LVS that had a 40 foot container attached to it with its side cut out but roof still in place. There we machine guns all along both sides and the rear covering everything from M249 Saws to .50.

Tanks
Andy
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While I was stationed in Taji Iraq (Camp Cooke for US Army), I saw plenty of gun truck conversions. I was most impressed by an LVS that had a 40 foot container attached to it with its side cut out but roof still in place. There we machine guns all along both sides and the rear covering everything from M249 Saws to .50.

Tanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

Did you have time/possibilities to take picture during your tour.

It will be very interesting !

TIA
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What is that?

I'm new to armor guys lol.

And thanks for the pics...any kits of that base truck out there?

=Anthony

The PLS (Palletized Load Sytem) is a HEMMT diravative that can lift and drop the "bed", usually a flat rack pallet. It does this with a hook similar to those big recycle/dumpster trucks do with 20 ft construction dumpsters. It is usually used as a cargo carrier, but can also have specialized flat racks for fuel tanks, water pumps, etc. used instead.

Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

Did you have time/possibilities to take picture during your tour.

It will be very interesting !

TIA

I know I have photo's I just have to search through the CD's to find them. At work at the moment. I will try looking over this weekend.

Tanks
Andy
GenPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC
So, for a newbie question here, does anyone make a model of the PLS? or the HET?

I can do conversions...but some plans or drawings plus conversion parts (specifically wheels for the PLS) would be wonderful

Thanks guys,

=Anthony
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 375 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 03:14 PM UTC
If I could just buy my OWN Mad Max, I think my morning commute would turn out to be quite pleasant. Would anyone like to be my 'rear seat driver'? I think we could singlehandedly eliminate the use of hand held cellphones after about one or two days.
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 04:09 PM UTC
I really need to pick up a copy of that tankograd book!
GenPatton
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I could just buy my OWN Mad Max, I think my morning commute would turn out to be quite pleasant. Would anyone like to be my 'rear seat driver'? I think we could singlehandedly eliminate the use of hand held cellphones after about one or two days.

Amen to that...I'll get on the .50 for you.

What about those people who do their morning hygiene in the car too...they can be a pain.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So, for a newbie question here, does anyone make a model of the PLS? or the HET?

Accurate Armour has released an Oshkosh M1070/M1000 HET (#K153). Only £246.77... (I'll let you do the conversion ). The tractor is available separately (#K153T at £148.94...)

HTH
Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

does anyone make a model of the PLS? or the HET?

No model of the PLS. You would have to convert the Italeri HEMMT into one.
 _GOTOTOP