Hosted by Darren Baker
What's a Holzgas Kubelwagen?
blindspot
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:04 AM UTC
I just saw an Aries 1/35 holzgas conversion kit for Hasegawa or Tamiya Kubelwagens. Can anyone describe what these vehicle are and/or how they were used? It seems to be some kind of wood powered vehicle, but I can't find any real details anywhere.
I found a post about the conversion not being very good, Anyone else have any experience with this kit?
I saw it here... http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EA3011
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:16 AM UTC
You're right, they were wood burning engines instead of gasoline/petrol/diesel burners. Since Germany was having a heck of a time refining oil due to shortages of the supply and refineries, they tried to use the wood burners as an alternate fuel. Otherwise AFAIK, these Holgas Kubels were used the same as the petrol burners. Not sure how many were built though. Hopefully someone has more info as well.
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:19 AM UTC
Without getting very technical, it used a charcoal burner under wood in a closed vessel (a pressure cooker); the volatile components were cooked out of the wood and sent to the engine (similar to LPG vehicles today). When the wood was cooked dry, it was then used as charcoal for the next load of wood. Very inefficient, but they were using what was available. It was used on trucks and busses, too.

Norm S
esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 222 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:24 AM UTC
Found this forum post on another site that has a little more info and pics of other vehicles that used this fuel source.
http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1981&highlight=&sid=160162f176fdf8ee18402b3a394d5a74
Very interesting topic!
blindspot
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:51 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys, looks like an interesting late war option for a number of vehicles. I hope someone has more pictures and more details... including the kit.
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 04:38 PM UTC
The Holzgas wood gas system was also used on tanks too, mainly among training units so as to save valuable fuel for combat units, I've seen pictures of turretless panzer II's with a large upright "stove" attached to the back plate.
 _GOTOTOP