_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting the exhaust with pigments
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi!
I'm on the way to finish my Trumpeter Sturer Emil, which has been waiting on a dust-proof and safe place to be finished, due to my university exams.
Today I sprayed the model with some semigloss paint, and tonight I will paint the exhaust.
I just used a rusty colour with some washes so far, but I would like to get a more realistic effect, so my idea would be to use the same rust colour as a base and some pigments, as shown in many artices: how can I do that?
Thanks for any help!
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi James, the way I do it ,is I will mix some acrylic dull coat (Model Master) with the base color pigment. Not too thin, but not thick and pastey either. Make it paintable. Have your other dry rust colors ready before doing this. After painting it on, usinga dry fluffy brush, start applying various rust pigments to the base color. The colors will stick randomly and also start to blend in. Just dab them on in random patterns. Evetually the base color will will become dry and you can use a dry brush and go over the whole area removing any loose pigments and at the same time blending the colors as you go. It takes a little practice, but comes out looking pretty good.
http://panzercreations.fotopic.net/p37884000.html
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Giacomo, I use exactly the same method as Tim!

I buy the pigments at local arts craft stores and they cost a fraction of the ones you buy at the hobby shop (2,5 euros per kg) and they come in several colours you can mix together. In Italy ask for "terre di colorificio"...
Ciao
Fabio
Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC
I use a simpler method where you apply lamp black oil paint, then dust over with rust coloured pigments. Very quick and easy. The above methods look awesome though.

Stu
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:41 PM UTC
The method I use is the same as the method I use to paint knocked out tanks. FIrst I paint the exhaust brown. I then make a thick wash of brunt umber paint, and apply it to the exhaust. When it is almost dry, I stipple pigment powders into it. I try to get more in some places than others to create a patchy variety of shades. I then use black pastel to darken the exhaust pipe.
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 11:51 PM UTC
Thanks everyone!
 _GOTOTOP