Hosted by Darren Baker
What More Can I do
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
This is my first model in a number of years. I am not sure if I am finished, was thinking about a Matt Coating and using the Future combination but I am not too sure what the mixture is. So if any one could help me out it would be greatly appricated as well as any constructive ideas in how to improve for my next model.

So click on my photos and let me know what you think. And thanks for your assistance.

JAFMA
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC
Thats a good vehicle for a first,the weathering looks very realistic.Re the matte coat and future,I would say at the stage your at the future is out, best to put that on before you weather,the tried and tested way is to apply future, decal, setting solutions if used then another coat when dry to seal decals, in you can then apply washes and other weathering then finish with a flat coat.well thats how i do it hope this helps.
tony55
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:42 AM UTC
Randall
Nice model. I would change the shovel colour though. It's a bit shiny for the battlefield. It would make a nice target. Black would be more appropriate as it would not stand out.
For future reference:-
Future;
Apply neat, either brush or spray, to protect the paint. It will be shiny but don't worry.
Now apply decals. These need a smooth surface to adhere to.
Next apply future mixed with about 20% Tamiya flat base X-21. This gives your model a flat finish so getting rid of those shiny bits.
Now you can add the weathering and if you like spray once more with the future/X-21 mix to 'glue' everything in place.

As far as your current model is concerned as you have already weathered it I would just spray with the Future/X-21 after painting the shovel. This will finish it off with a matt look.
Cheers

Tony
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hey, like it has been said the weathering looks good, the one thing that sood out for me was the wipe pattern on the windshield. As the wipe does not follow the wipers all the way up.

Welcome to the board

cheers
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC
Looks good. John and Tony are spot on with their advice on future, etc...
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 05:51 AM UTC
Tony

Did as you suggested.

However, ended up getting a white residue on the model. I understand that a couple of things may be the cause of this.

One being too much sprayed on. Two being the mixture was too thick not enough thinner.

I also understand than thin is in. In that it is better to go with a thin mixture and more layers than with a thick spray.

Also have you heard about mixing future with talc. If so what would be the result of this and any idea on how it looks?

Again thanks for you help and if you have any ideas on how I can correct this white residue they would be greatly welcomed.

Randy
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:19 AM UTC
Whenever I use future it's straight from the bottle, no thinners. Light even coats and your good to go.

cheers
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hey there. just my 2 cents worth. a lot of people who try the tamiya flat base winds up getting that white residue. When i use future I use it either straight or a mixture of 50% Future 25% alcohol 25% distilled water then after everything is dray and I'm ready to get it back to flat I use DullCoat or another clear flat coat.

The reason some people add the X21 flat base to future is to change the future gloss coat into a flat coat, and many people have come to dread the "white residue" problem. (of course some people have this down pat and don't have a problem with it).

The X21 flat base is designed to be added to Tamiya's semi-gloss / gloss colors to make them into flat colors.

I personally do not know any way to fix this after this happens to your model, maybe some one else will know..

Quoted Text

Tony

Did as you suggested.

However, ended up getting a white residue on the model. I understand that a couple of things may be the cause of this.

One being too much sprayed on. Two being the mixture was too thick not enough thinner.

I also understand than thin is in. In that it is better to go with a thin mixture and more layers than with a thick spray.

Also have you heard about mixing future with talc. If so what would be the result of this and any idea on how it looks?

Again thanks for you help and if you have any ideas on how I can correct this white residue they would be greatly welcomed.

Randy

gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:52 AM UTC
Cool model!!! Congrats!

Gary
tony55
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 346 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
When I mix the Future with X-21 I never use any thinner at all. I don't even measure it properly. Just by eye about 20% and never had any problems.

Nor do I put lots of thin coats on. Just one coat at about 15 psi that covers everything well. That's for both the original gloss coat and the later matt coat. I have no idea why this works but I have done the same thing many times and have never seen the White residue people mention.

So long as the X-21 is stirred well before mixing with the Future I don't understand what can go wrong. It obviously does though. Will this residue scrape off? Failing that use Windex to remove it and try again. That's all I can think of.

Tony
 _GOTOTOP