_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Merkava III review
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hi all. Recently read a review of Acadamy's Merkava III and it stated the roadwheels were not even close to correct(prototype) and the tracks were exclusive to the Merkava II. The review was about 2 years old and I was wondering if Acadamy had corrected these errors. I am assuming the review was accurate as there was not one rebuttal.
Anyone care to comment? Any current tweaks list for this kit?
Cheers!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 09:41 PM UTC
Acadeny never corrected the kit, which suffered from other errors as well. Most, such as the track width, are hard to notice unless you're looking at a reference while you look at the model.
There are several "upgrades" for the kit. The AEF Designs one I made the mistake of purchasing has added roof armor. When purchasing AEF stuff, which is rare, I tell myself I'll get to finishing it when I have more strength. Hence, mine sits atop an ever growing pile of disappointing kits.
sabot65
Visit this Community
Venezia, Italy
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 05:56 PM UTC
Hi Rick
The Academy kit is based on the prototype/preserie vehicle on display at Latrun Museum. The kit is not so bad if you want to built the preserie vehicle but for an operational tank you need to get some help.
Legend produces several good detail sets for this tank....check the site

http://www.www-legend.co.kr/main.htm

Cheers
Gaetano
nikpanag
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all. Recently read a review of Acadamy's Merkava III and it stated the roadwheels were not even close to correct(prototype) and the tracks were exclusive to the Merkava II. The review was about 2 years old and I was wondering if Acadamy had corrected these errors. I am assuming the review was accurate as there was not one rebuttal.
Anyone care to comment? Any current tweaks list for this kit?
Cheers!

Most of what you read is accurate, but should not stop you. Check Legend's updates (Mk III conversions, armoured hull, all steel wheels) and pick your choice. I am currently working on the MkIIID turret which is beautiful, you can mix & match with accessories from the kit !!!
 _GOTOTOP