_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri M978 Fuel Tanker
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
I got this kit for $21 yesterday from an MJDesigns that was going out of buisness. :-) (I also got a Tamiya Cromwell for the same price. )
Lately I seem to be getting interested into large military trucks of all sorts.

What can you tell me about the kit? I've seen a few buildups and know there are a few resin detail sets out there, are they needed?
Where can I get some good references? I've seen the 6 pictures in Rob's motorpool, and a few exterior shots on Google, but I haven't seen anything on the interior.

Any help will be appreciated.

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
YM - the Italeri HEMTT Trucks are painfully simple in detailing and presentation. I don't think they come close to doing justice in replicating the real truck.

For me - and no one else - the model(s) call for a great deal of extra detailing and replacement of the wheels to really bring the truck to life. More than the typical model subject because of the interesting complexity of the real vehicle(s). I've only seen one done by a Japanese modeler that did the real truck proud. If you're not interesting in "going to town" in modeling the basic 10-ton truck, then you won't have too much heartburn. It's a moderately challenging build-up, and if you go with the NATO tri-color scheme, a good painting exercise. The basic model finished up is impressive, and compliments a collection though, regardless of whether or not you decide to spruce it up.

Gunnie
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
Yoda,
The kit is very nice by itself. I would definatly replace the wheels from some of the different companies. I believe MR Models or maybe Real Models has wheels, and maybe Tamk Workshop. Also, Eduard has a nice photo etch set, but it was for the cargo vehicle, but will do nicely for the Fueller.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC
YM, you got pretty good advice about the kit and what it needs. I'd warn you that the tire set runs close to $30. Why not build it OOB with some basic detailing with styrene rod and sheet?

What kind of interior shots are you looking for? If it's the cab, all of the HEMTT cabs (note that HEMTT stands for Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck and it's not HEMMT) are basically alike. I can take some M978 shots for you if you want.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
I took some shots of the cab, dashboard, instrument cluster, passenger seat area, interior of the roof and a couple of shots of the top of the fuel tank. I'll post them later tonight.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(note that HEMTT stands for Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck and it's not HEMMT)

Ahhhh, never underestimate the power of the Edit Button

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:22 PM UTC
Interior cab photos posted here: M978 Fueler. Where can you get service like this on the internet for free?
80a2
Visit this Community
Flevoland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 144 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 09:51 PM UTC
MR produce a tire set for € 16,00
number MRA - 3512
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:59 PM UTC
I think Roll models has them also Mission might have them too. Better hurry I think that tank workshop stopped making theirs.
Wait one Yoda I think that Psp use to make a pump set for the rear of this but hard to find.
will look around and post here

Okay here it is don't know if still around
http://www.kmk-scaleworld.be/gallery/armour/tanker/
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 06:25 AM UTC
Many thanks for the replies! :-)

I think I'll pass on buying expensive resin details, and use this kit for my first "Big Project" . Once I've got my sci-fi speeder and the El Camino done, I'll start the M978.

Rob - Thanks for the pictures! I'll second GreyHunter's request for a walkaround. (if you have time for it, of course! Your already numerous contributions to the gallery are greatly appreciated. )

Question - What's so inaccurate about the wheels? My guess is that it has something to do with the tread pattern?

I'd better log off and finish my Tatooine speeder now...

YodaMan
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:55 AM UTC
your right, the tread patteren is all worng, but I heard it was due to not haveing a liceane from Goodyear and Michelin to model there tread patteren, also note there is no name plate on the truck refering to Oshkosh on the model
Vince
Sabot
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC
I wonder about this issue of tire markings. Car kits do it to death and there's no problem. I did notice that the old Esci HMMWV kits come with more accurate tires that the Italeri kits (Esci kits have "Good Year" and "Wrangler R/T" on the sidewall and all Italeri kits have is "0000 0000". Academy tires are devoid of markings.

I've got the M978 kit, I traded a GI Joe of JFK for it (he was on clearance for $7) several years ago. Looked rather simplified to me in the box.
cdave
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hey Rob,

Thanks for those pics opf the fuel truck . Yes for me, for some dumb reason, I've been looking at trucks lately. Albeit that I screwed up (do not know what I was thinking) with that M49A2C fuel truck, the idea of doing these wheeled buddies have been with me.

Anyway, need to more on, but just wanted to say "thanks".
Dave
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 01:39 AM UTC
Update I did get in touch with Dirk. And I do have a price list for the parts pretty cheap by todays standard but he is in Belgium somewhere The Netherlands I think so shipping would be the killer.

Ps thanks for heads up Marcel
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 07:52 AM UTC

M984 A1 Recovery Truck (Wrecker)

http://www.salt6.com/hemtt.htm
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
Ooh! Thanks for the link, Steve!

It's not the same as the M978, but appears to have many similarities. Great detail shots too! :-)

Question - Is it just me, or do the tires have a few different tread patterns?

Question - Am I crazy to think about detailing this monster without resin or other AM details?

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:26 AM UTC

Here's a few detail photos of major kit parts. Cabin area, fuel tank, wheels...

Now that I look at the kit, it does seem a little simplified. I'll have to study the instructions to see what all is going to be added.

Gunnie, do you have a link to the one good buildup you were refering to?

YodaMan
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Question - Am I crazy to think about detailing this monster without resin or other AM details?

Heck if you are crazy, then call me crazy as well! #:-) I plan on doing the detailing by scratchbuilding, and not go buy AM parts (no doe :-) ). Heck, if Shep Paine managed to improve his Dragon Wagon with some scratch building, then why can't I (even if my skills are far far less than Shep Paine's)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:13 PM UTC
I started scratchbuilding the HEMTT on 1/16th last year. That's when the campaign ideas came, so now I have seven or eight parts finished in a box. Ïf this planet is still in one piece by the time I hit retirement age, It's on the top of my list of modeling projects. That wrecker really gives me cold shivers. I want to BUILD that thing.

This same subject was already treated in length on Armorama. Some other links in there, too. Interesting to see how same subjects return. Am I getting old ? HEMMT post of Septemberr 2002
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not the same as the M978, but appears to have many similarities.

Much like HMMWVs, they all share the same cab and chassis components, only the rear portion is different.

Quoted Text

Question- Is it just me, or do the tires have a few different tread patterns?

Yes, there is the Goodyear pattern and the Michelin pattern. See the Tire Warehouse album in my motorpool. It was not unusual to see differing tires on the same truck, and even tire patterns going in opposite directions.

Quoted Text

Build it to suit yourself.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
YM - let me work on pulling the article out of storage and seeing if I can scan it for you privately. Like a lot of great modeling - it is not posted on the Internet...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP