_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
wooden handles
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hi everybody, it's me again. I used to paint all my wwoden handles of the equipment,(1:35),with burnt sienna oilpaint. This turns out very nice, but a bit too red and dark though. Now I've seen some photo's on this site, with much lighter painted equipment. Can anyone tell me which color they use, and which Humbrol nr. it is.

Thanx in advance, John.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 08:31 PM UTC
John,

This is the way I normaaly paint my wood:

I prime the area with Dessert Yellow and let it dry 24h then I apply a wash of Burnt Sienna or Burnt Amber (depending on the wood effect that I want), I let this dry for 1-2 hours and than I remove the paint with a clean brush. This works good if there is a grainpattern in the piece, for you handle you could try to use a stiifer brush so that you trace your own woodgrain.
#:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Here is what I do with equipment handles - I use Tamiya paints all around so this is a bit different.
I (as Roadkill does) put down a dark yellow base. Then I come in with a second coat of red brown (dark brown). I don't worry so much about coverage, I let it streak through. Then I will make a number of different shades of brown wash, some I will add black to, some I will add buff to, some a touch of grey. Then I wash and rewash with pretty transparent coats till I'm satisfied.
 _GOTOTOP